SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low-carbon world. Following our commitment to investing £18 billion in low-carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans. We are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
We seek an experienced and driven SCADA Field Engineer to join our team to ensure the department's continued success.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
Base Location: Inverness, Elgin or Aberdeen
Salary: £49,559 - £63,643 depending on experience + operational response allowance + company car/cash allowance, 1/6 standby rota payment + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
The Real-Time Systems Delivery (RTSD) Team is responsible for the project delivery, design, installation, testing and commissioning of Industrial Control Systems, Operational Communications and SCADA field systems that SSEN use to operate our primary and secondary assets across multiple locations across the Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution (SHEPD) licensed area.
As SCADA Field Engineer within RTSD, you will be responsible for installing and commissioning new equipment and supporting existing systems within the SHEPD portfolio. You will also participate in Factory and Site Acceptance testing of Operational Technology Field systems and ongoing maintenance, support, and fault finding on these systems.
You will work closely with SSEN Project Managers, RTSD Design Teams, OT Standards Teams and other SSEN technical teams to ensure the successful delivery of projects on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards.
Your key responsibilities will be as follows.
- Deliver Operational Communication and SCADA field systems that monitor and control SSEN's primary and secondary assets.
- All aspects of field SCADA work, including installation, commissioning, maintenance, outage management, and contractor liaison.
- Participate in site and factory acceptance testing (SAT, FAT) and commissioning of field systems.
- Provide expert technical support to the broader business and key stakeholders during the installation and operation of all field systems.
- Be Safety-focused and experienced in preparing risk assessments and adhering to safe systems of work (SsoW) methods.
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies and industry trends involving Operational Communications and SCADA systems and make recommendations for their adoption where it fits business needs and customer requirements.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- An HNC in a relevant engineering discipline or working in a similar role with proven experience and recognised in-house qualifications.
- Experience configuring and commissioning SCADA systems, RTUs and network communication devices; HMI exposure may also be beneficial.
- Experience in finding and rectifying faults in SCADA systems, RTUs and network communication devices.
- Strong knowledge of communications protocols and operational communication methods.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- The role requires regular travel to substations, sites and other SSE offices, so a full driving license is essential.
- The role includes being part of a 1-6 standby rota to provide 24/7 support, so flexibility is required.
We would love to hear from you if you are an experienced SCADA Field Engineer looking for a challenging and rewarding role in the Electrical utilities sector. The role is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team, work on exciting projects, and significantly contribute to SSEN's Purpose and Vision.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Louise on 1738 351698.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.