Stevenage MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.Salary
: Circa £35,000 to £55,000 depending on experienceWhat we can offer you:
Hybrid working pattern:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working; typically this role will require 2-3 days per week in the office.The opportunity:Weapon System Equipment - Physical Architect / Requirement Authority
MBDA is a large engineering organisation that takes a disciplined approach to product development. The role of the physical architect is to ensure the product development team has a clear set of requirements, understands the engineering trade-space, based on customer needs, and can apply judgment across a number of engineering areas to enable the cost-effective delivery of our Weapon System products. We have a number of projects, at the forefront of capability needs for our armed forces and throughout the development lifecycle, to suit individuals looking for their next challenge.
Weapon System Equipment plays a key role in the development and delivery of MBDA's products to our Customers. We operate across the full range of Operational Commands including Land, Naval, Airborne and, increasingly, Novel Capability domains ensuring MBDA's systems remain at the forefront of defence capability.
We specialise in providing physical design coherency across Weapon Systems for all phases of the development cycle and ultimately responsible for the system elements that our end users interact with.Our Mission
What we're looking for from you:
- Deliver world-class Systems, Subsystems and Equipment to our Customers Armed Forces
- Contribute to MBDA's international Weapon System Equipment Strategy, bringing the UK perspective to bear and balancing the need for technology re-use with the need to exploit emerging technology trends
- Apply the Weapon system Equipment Strategy to all new programmes, as well as through-life enhancement upgrades.
If you have a practical mind and you are able to apply logic in challenging or complex situations, then this role is for you. The role of a physical architect is to work within the product delivery organisation to mature our products through the development cycle.
This is a varied role; sometimes you will be working with internal and external customers to develop the requirement set and other days you might be in the lab supporting the trials team ensuring the product is being tested thoroughly and accurately. Either way, you'll quickly see the results of your efforts in the realisation of a System or Subsystem that you can associate with your Engineering ability.
As a physical architect, you should be able to demonstrate your ability to:
- Define clear requirements and interface specifications
- Mature a product through the development lifecycle
- Capture the physical architecture in the form of design records
- Work as part of a multi-discipline team (e.g. Systems, mechanical, electrical, software etc...)
- Understand the benefits of re-use versus new development
- Deliver verification and validation strategies for the electrical, mechanical, software and transversal properties of a system or subsystem
- Work closely and capture the needs of transversal engineering partners (Safety, Cyber, HF, ILS, etc)
In addition, as your knowledge and experience grows, you may be expected to:
- Manage schedule, cost, quality and performance metrics for individual work packages
- Run peer and design reviews
- Limit technical risks through application of mitigation strategies
- Work on engineering projects across our multi-national defence organisation
- Contribute to our capability initiatives to look at the future technical direction across the department
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information. Please Note
: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.