The Electricity Generation Engineer will provide professional engineering services within the Electricity Generation Team to support the operation and maintenance of electricity generation sources. The primary focus shall be on the operation and maintenance of the wind farm but the Electricity Generation Engineer will also provide support as required on electricity generation from diesel and solar sources. This is a senior post within the Company that will be required to deputise for the Electricity Generation Manager in his absence.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Electricity Generation Engineer shall include but not be limited to:
- Operation and Maintenance of Electricity Generation Systems, the primary focus being on wind energy but will be required to support the Electricity Generation Manager in the operation and maintenance of diesel and solar generation equipment.
- Undertake scheduled preventative maintenance and servicing. Carry out corrective maintenance, fault finding, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Ensure that all maintenance work (scheduled and unscheduled) is completed to defined standards and timescales.
- Ensure that accurate records are kept of all maintenance activities. Share the on-call arrangement with the Electricity Generation Manager to provide ongoing cover and minimise potential for interruption to electricity generation.
- All other reasonable duties required for day-to-day operations including:
- Lead the activities of the Wind Farm Team (3 persons). Organising Wind Farm Team work activities, including liaising with the Electricity Generation Manager to ensure that resource is prioritised within the Section, noting that the Wind Farm Team may be called upon to provide cover at the Power Station.
- Ensure you and any staff under your supervision comply with the health and safety standards and working practices for the Electricity generation team.
- Carry out health & safety audit and risk assessments and recommend mitigation or elimination of identified risks.
- Collate, interpret and analyse data on system operation and report to the Electricity Generation Manager as required.
Authorised Person (Electrical) in terms of the Operating Regulations for High Voltage Systems, responsible for all HV (11000V) switching operations and procedures relating to generation ONLY.
Knowledge sharing and capacity building
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Wind Farm team, leading by example and providing on-the-job training for the team. Similarly, maintain a close working relationship with the Power Station Team. Maintain a close working relationship with the Electricity Distribution Team and seek joint solutions to improve the efficiency and reliability of electricity generation and distribution.
Deputise for the Electricity Generation Manager during periods of absence (for example, annual leave or sickness leave):
- Manage the Electricity Generation Team (Power Station, Wind and Solar), ensuring there is no interruption to services.
- Carry out all duties of the Electricity Generation Manager that may reasonably be requested during such periods.
- If an unforeseen event should arise that might require the Electricity Generation Manager to be absent for an extended period of time, provide support to such business continuity arrangements that might be required.
Providing support to the Renewable Energy Project
- Provide input into recommendations to improve the electricity generation systems, including identifying opportunities for increased use of renewable energy and green operations.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to train, develop and transfer knowledge to subordinates
- Proven ability to lead from the front with resilience and dedication
- Able to prioritise and work under extreme pressure in physically and mentally demanding situations
- Resourceful and innovative to meet with the demands of unforeseen situations
- Decisive and influential with peers, superiors and consumers
- Innovative approach to problem solving Able to keep calm under pressure in a safety critical environment
The successful candidate should have the following qualifications and experience:
HND in Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering, 10 years Post Qualification Engineering Experience, 3 years Management Experience, Computer Literate, Working knowledge of SCADA systems operation, 2 years’ Experience in Renewable Energy (Solar & Wind) Operation and Maintenance, Health & Safety Risk Assessment, Training & Development experience, able to work at height and be physically fit,
Authorised Person (Electrical) HV/LV and a Class C Drivers licence.
Proficiency in both written and spoken English is essential.
Connect Saint Helena Ltd offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Other benefits include 15% pension contributions of the base salary and 25 days annual leave.
Remote on site working (Diesel Power Station, Solar Farm & Wind Farm)
Climbing and working at heights of up to 20 metres in wet/windy conditions, but this height may be extended if larger wind turbines are installed.
Working with high voltage rotating machinery, switchgear and equipment
High noise levels
Emergency call out and stand-by duties for diesel and renewable generation equipment
Asset Responsibilities - 12 wind turbines and related spares
Total Staff Supervision - 3 but will have delegated responsibility for the Electricity Generation Team (total of 12 persons) when deputising for the Electricity Generation Manager
Budget Responsibilities - The post holder will have delegated authority for the Electricity Generation Section budget when deputising for the Electricity Generation Manager (circa £2m) –
Key Contacts - Electricity Section, Suppliers, Contractors, Connect Management Team
Connect Saint Helena Ltd. is the sole supplier of utility services on Saint Helena. Many of the systems are without backup and directly relate to the quality of the product, failure therefore results in consumer dissatisfaction.
This job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. There may be other ad hoc duties that fall within the remit of the role that the job holder may need to complete. In addition, the job holder will be required to carry out any other reasonable duties as requested which are commensurate with the grading and level of responsibility for the role.