As a Diagnostic Technician in our operations team, you will have the opportunity to be involved in the building and testing of bespoke optical probes and running optical systems to capture data on hydrodynamic trials. This is an excellent opportunity to work within France and for someone looking for career development in the future.
Location: Reading Area & Epure, France (North of Dijon)
Salary: £25,850-£36,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 13th December 2023
This role will initially be based in the UK with the expectation that the employee (once visas are approved) will move to France for an assignment of up to 5 years. At the end of the assignment, the employee will be re-deployed back to the UK.
The working pattern for EPURE is 5 days a week, whilst at AWE the working pattern is based on a nine-day fortnight with every other Friday off.
What will you be responsible for?
- Building & testing of optical probe assemblies and cables to correct specification
- Running optical systems and capture data for experiments
- Maintaining high levels of housekeeping within the Lab environment
- Fault finding, problem solving, repair and maintenance of existing systems
- Designing, building and testing of new optical systems
- Working alongside team members on other hardware such as high voltage systems and high-speed imaging systems.
- Supporting teams with various trials
- Undertaking work in compliance with company processes, standards, and procedures
- May be required to carry out additional safety related roles
To be considered for this role you must hold a Degree in a scientific or STEM discipline, equivalent NQF level 6 qualification or equivalent experience. Ideally you will have experience in using data capture hardware and electronics test equipment and be able to show aptitude in fault-finding and problem solving. A sound approach to electrical & laser safety is essential. Knowledge of fibre optics & lasers would be beneficial, although full training will be provided.
Candidates must be willing and able to:
- Operate in workplaces of substantial hazard (radiological, explosive, toxic).
- Comfortable with working in the defence industry in support of the UK nuclear deterrent.
- Willing to relocate to France and live within 1 hour of the Valduc site and be permanently located in France for up to 5 years
- Undertake secondary roles for the UK Senior Technical operator in support of UK operations.
- The ability to communicate in the French Language is essential for this role. Whilst training will be provided, if needed, it should be recognised that significant personal commitment and self-study will be required to reach the required level. The candidate will need to reach DELF A2 ahead of deployment to work in the high hazard area.
- Fit to wear respirator and work in a radiation-controlled area
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Maternity Leave- 39 Weeks Full Pay & Paternity Leave- 4 Weeks Full Pay!
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.