National Satellite Test Facility Business Development Manager
Salary: £40,543 - £45,049 or £51,716 - £57,463 gross per annum (dependent on skills and experience).
Hours: Full time or Part time (minimum 4 days per week) (We understand the importance of work-life balance, and are happy to discuss the possibility of flexible working with applicants)
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire OX11 0DE
Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business team explore the unknown and turn what they find into work that changes the world around us. Whether it’s sending probes into space or finding new ways to treat cancer, everyone here plays a vital role in making a positive difference to society.
Come and discover how much you can achieve when you’re surrounded by world-leading experts, encouraged to constantly learn and empowered to explore your curiosity.
The National Satellite Test Facility (NSTF) is a flagship facility built and operated by RAL Space. The world class set of co-located and open-access facilities designed for testing of large satellite platforms is unique in the UK and directly aligned to the UK government goals of growing the UK space sector.
We are seeking a Business Development Manager to join our RAL Space business development team at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory on the Harwell Campus, to lead business development for the National Satellite Test Facility (NSTF) and other environmental test facilities.
You will be part of a small team focused on supporting all aspects of RAL Space. This group in turn is part of the much larger Business & Innovation Directorate (BID) covering all three main STFC sites – we like to use three words to describe the behaviours of our Directorate: Trustworthy; Passionate; Collaborative.
- This is a Business Development role to lead and drive forward the business development vision, objectives and plan for the NSTF and other environmental test facilities at RAL Space.
- Work closely with the testing teams to be a trusted team member, providing a high-quality service and competitive pricing to prospective customers.
- Respond to general enquiries coming into facilities from a wide range of institutional and commercial sources. Act as the primary communication channel and external interface for the test teams.
- Manage strategic partnerships internally and externally. Take on and grow an existing pipeline of leads and opportunities to contract win, to ensure the long term, sustainable operation of test facilities.
- Promote our facilities through various channels; online, through engaging talks and tours, in productive meetings, through exhibitions and talks at major UK and international events.
Contacts and Communication
- The position will require occasional travel to the other STFC sites across the UK, and other locations (some overseas) for conferences, events, business meetings, etc.
- You will communicate regularly with staff in RAL Space, BID, wider STFC, and other external organisations in order to deliver customer work, identify new opportunities, encourage engagement and ultimately deliver impact.
This role requires a broad range of skills, and the correct candidate will have a mixture of the skills listed below. The role will also require some travel within the UK and occasional travel overseas.
- Business development experience, demonstrating excellent customer facing, communication, networking and influencing skills
- Technical background, preferably with experience of working in a testing environment
- Able to form good working relationships with staff from all teams and levels
- Record of working independently and delivering against targets
- Proactive, well organised and able to explain complex ideas succinctly
The successful candidate will also be expected to demonstrate experience in some of the following areas (multiple areas required for Band F):
- Technical degree (or higher) in an engineering or physical sciences subject, or equivalent experience Experience of negotiating and/or reviewing commercial contracts.
Working part of a committed team in RAL Space at the heart of the UK Space sector, a major part of the Harwell Space Cluster comprising over 100 organisations with over 1400 space professionals on site including the European Space Agency, UK Space Agency, Satellite Applications Catapult.
Being part of the UK Research and Innovation community with excellent career prospects, training options and equal opportunities.
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days’ annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.