About our Business
SSE Thermal is on a mission to deliver the flexible energy needed today while powering the transition to net zero. Our 600+ employees play a crucial role in keeping the lights on across the UK and Ireland and we're rising to the low-carbon challenge with our teams at the cutting-edge of vital technologies. We're developing ground-breaking carbon capture and storage projects and progressing plans for what could be the world's first hydrogen-fired power station, as well as a major hydrogen storage facility and exploring other exciting options as we decarbonise. We've already achieved a lot - but we're just getting started. As part of SSE, which is investing £24bn this decade, we're at the forefront of the energy transition - so come join us as we continue to grow and power change.
To find out more, read this blog from Catherine Raw, our Managing Director, on our critical role in delivering net zero.
About the Role
Base Location: Leeds or Glasgow or Perth
Salary: £45,400 - £68,200 depending on skills and experience + performance related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances, and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent| Full Time | Flexible First options available
We have an exciting opportunity for a Civil Engineer to join our Thermal Engineering Asset Management team (TEAM).
The role is to support our three main activities:
- Asset Integrity through the corporate governance role and compliance with standards and legislation, to include buildings, chimneys, cooling towers, bunkers, bunds and more.
- Technical Assurance through delivering robust engineering solutions for civil and structural high consequence assets and associated outage coordination activities. This will require a practical approach with on-site asset inspection, as well as a strong mind for thorough and detailed review of engineering issues with the communication of the results of the assessments to various stakeholders.
- Technical Authority for large capital thermal new build projects. Due to the pipeline of major projects that SSE are currently delivering, it is expected that you will be involved in one or more of these, in a technical review capacity and/or carrying out site visits and inspections.
Combined, this will offer the successful candidate a unique opportunity to become involved in the full life cycle from conception to decommissioning of large civil infrastructure.
For this role, these are the expected key activities that you will be responsible for, although it will inevitably extend beyond these as emerging workload dictates:
- Be responsible for the successful delivery of Large Capital Projects as required by the SSE governance policy, working under the Technical Authority, for all civil engineering aspects of the project.
- Taking responsibility for the development of technical and engineering solutions to add value to SSE, and mitigating risks.
- Production of asset integrity reports, and management of works to safely extend the life of operational assets.
- Attending to emergent civil and structural tasks as requested by the stations, which may have an urgent H&S implication.
- Provide civil engineering advice to other discipline teams as required, for multi-discipline activities and interface tasks.
What do I need?
To be successful we would love you to have;
- Minimum of degree level in Civil and/or Structural Engineering and have a comprehensive understanding of legislation, design and operational standards related to civil assets.
- Chartered membership of ICE and/or IStructE is anticipated, although being close to sitting your Chartered Professional Review as a minimum is essential.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You will possess an innovative mind set, have a flexible approach and have the capacity to deliver high quality work on a consistent basis in a demanding environment.
- This role will require a full and valid UK drivers license - from your base location you will make frequent site visits and enjoy immense variety that few other company departments could offer due to our unique portfolio of civil assets
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on 01738 341147.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.