What is the Role?
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £20.5 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible Scotland, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key Scottish sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen and Inverness.
Salary: £63,000 - £94,400 dependant upon experience + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Key to our growth ambition, SSE Renewables have an exciting opportunity within the Onshore Engineering & Innovation business for an Engineering Manager to drive our engineering activities across the hydro development projects, such as the 1.5GW Coire Glas pumped storage scheme currently under development.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Responsible for fulfilling and coordinating assurance and governance activities across engineering design and management for the delivery of over a £billion hydro development schemes.
- Coordinate a multi-disciplined engineering team to ensure delivery of the design elements of a hydro scheme, including technology selection and management of interfaces, ensuring appropriate specifications and contracts are in place to deliver the project to meet the business needs.
- Line manage and develop project engineers who will support the engineering design and delivery responsibilities within the projects.
- Form an integral part of the Design Authority process, working at a portfolio level, ensuring that risk is communicated and managed and that all of SSER engineering knowledge is leveraged to increase value.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have;
- Experience of managing multi-discipline engineering teams and processes which deliver large capital projects, preferably with hydro or renewables experience.
- An understanding of working within large corporate governance structures, ensuring that risk is managed and relevant project details are understood and clearly communicated.
- A strong commercial aptitude and experience of reviewing, managing and developing project level documentation including commercial and contractual information.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to succinctly pass information or escalate issues between all levels within the organisation from engineer to senior management.
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline and either be chartered or have a clear path to becoming chartered.
The role will require frequent travel to site and other SSER offices.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on 01738 275199.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.