About the Role
Base Location: Glasgow, Perth, Inverness or Aberdeen
Salary: £53,100 - £65,000 (depending on relevant experience) + car/allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSEN Transmission has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Substation Engineer to provide specialist engineering support on high profile and technically complex substation projects.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- Reviewing and approving primary plant designs, from 33kV to 400kV, through the development and execution phases, including Single Line Diagrams, Stage by Stage Diagrams, Electrical layouts and Scope of Work documentation.
- To promote best practice within the Substation design, bringing your experience to provide suggested improvements in specifications, innovation of technology options and management of engineering risks.
- Drive decision making and support other projects through peer review of key issues.
- Support and direct Project Engineers within their specialist remit, using your technical expertise. The Project Engineers are managed directly via Engineering Managers, the Senior role is to provide technical support through your expertise and in doing so support the Engineering Manager. This will include support during recruitment and advising on Training and Development requirements of the Substation Engineering Team.
- As well as the focus on the internal SSE Engineering resource, you will also take a key role in advising on the performance of the external resource of Engineering Consultants and Contractors who are all part of the supply chain delivering a significant portfolio of work.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Demonstrable experience in transmission development/design/specification, ideally up to 400kV, and be comfortable to technically assess issues and critically assess a range of technical solutions.
- An excellent technical understanding of relevant legislation and the implications for both Assets and Projects, including CDM & ESQCR.
- Effective communication skills, you should be able to communicate complex technical issues clearly and concisely to allow decision making by senior management.
- Able to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders with an appetite for building strong and lasting relationships.
- The ideal candidate for this role will be degree qualified in Electrical or other relevant engineering discipline and ideally be a Chartered Engineer in a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Stephanie on 01738 342963.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.