About the Role
Base Location: Reading
Salary: £62,324 - £71,370 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Power Systems Engineer to cater for the growth in large demand and renewable generation connections and manage our CAPEX investment programme to ensure that our electricity networks remain fully compliant with the technical and regulatory requirements of our license.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Identify and specify the works needed to optimise the performance and condition of the existing assets.
- Produce documentation supporting our statutory license conditions.
- Analyse the capability of our networks to accommodate both demand and high-volume generation connections and specify innovative technical solutions.
- Work closely with the design and delivery teams to ensure the network is developed in the most economic, efficient and co-ordinated manner.
- Ensure that the learning from our on-going high-profile low carbon innovation projects are transferred and embedded into our day-to-day Planning function.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Minimum HNC educational qualification in Electrical Engineering or equivalent with relevant industry experience, or engineering degree working towards Chartered Engineer.
- Fundamental knowledge of planning, design, operation, protection and control of electricity networks, and the interface with Transmission.
- Knowledge of statutory, regulatory & license requirements, industry wide codes, network and engineering standards.
- Conversant in using Power System Analysis software. Experience with PowerFactory and Python an advantage.
About the business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.9 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 4,200 highly skilled people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital for the future. We power communities to thrive today and create a net zero tomorrow. Why not join us and help power change, we're looking for great people who love working with others to achieve great results. You'll be empowered to make the right decisions for our customers and have the space to take accountability for the work you do. Youll be working as part of a bigger team, enabling net zero, so team work will be essential. As a part of our business, you become part of something bigger - an established company with a reputation for looking after our people, offering secure and rewarding roles where safety is our number one priority.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Shirley on 01738 351976.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.