Base Location: Reading
£45,400 - £68,200 + performance-related bonus and a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
We are looking for an experienced cloud engineer to work within the SSE Business Energy IT Team to develop, implement, optimise, and maintain cloud-based solutions. You will be responsible for deploying and debugging cloud stacks, educating teams on new cloud initiatives, and ensuring the security of the cloud infrastructure.
To be successful as a cloud engineer, you should be able to identify the most optimal cloud-based solutions for our projects and maintain cloud infrastructures in accordance with best practices and company security policies. A top-notch cloud engineer should have excellent troubleshooting skills, stay current with industry trends, and should be a team player.
Your key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Working with business & IT stakeholders throughout the whole cloud lifecycle, providing comprehensive support to transform and modernise their application portfolios.
- Acting as a trusted advisor and bridge between the cloud team and stakeholders, providing regular progress updates and flagging any issues accordingly.
- Supporting stakeholders to adopt and leverage the latest software development methods; delivering effective DevOps practices that accommodate the latest security and software lifecycle patterns.
- Participating in the coaching and development for the immediate team and act as a champion within the organisation for engineering practices.
- Partnering with Product Owners and management with direction to manage and clearly articulate demand planning and delivery against the projected backlog and book of work.
- Identifying and progressing opportunities to drive continuous improvement across engineering, delivery, and operational practices.
To be successful in this role, we would love you to have:
- End to end understanding of cloud systems architecture and design.
- Strong understanding of end-to-end product lifecycle, as well as how technical systems work and interact.
- Strong analytical skills and a solid understanding of operational support procedures.
- Background in Cloud or DevOps Engineering.
- In-Depth knowledge and experience of Microsoft Azure.
- In depth knowledge of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) such as Terraform or Azure Resource Management templates.
- Tangible experience of solutions prominent in the DevOps toolchain i.e. Jenkins, GitHub, Argo.
- Exposure to Configuration Management Solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Practical use and understanding of scripting languages such as Python or Go.
- Knowledge of operating system fundamentals including diagnostics, tuning and monitoring of IO, Networks, CPU and Memory.
- GCP, AWS, or Azure certifications.
- Good knowledge of RPC, REST, and API.
- Experience working with SaaS offerings.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on / 01738 275846.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.