General Dynamics Mission Systems engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of more than 13,000 top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defence and scientific arenas. In the UK, we are leading the way in avionics and communication systems. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency.
We are hiring Senior System Engineers to make a significant contribution to the System Design of C4I Systems on GDUK programmes through application of world class Systems Engineering expertise.
These roles offer an opportunity to provide System Engineering effort on a variety of MoD development and delivery programmes. The work will cover a variety of activities including:
- Analysis of user and system level documentation (URD, SRD, CONOPs, Use Cases, Interface Requirements), significant input to SRR
- Producing system designs to satisfy User and System Requirements, significant input to SDR
- Engagement with speciality engineering teams (Safety, Security, Human Factors, ILS, Training) to ensure a complete System Solution
- Evaluating/Modelling system performance in support of design decisions and trade studies
- Analysis of third party applications to assess their suitability as part of the system solution
- Specification of Interfaces and system components
- Through-life management of the system design, including design reviews
- Engagement with development teams (Internal and External) as part of system design and component development
- Engagement with System Integration and Test teams on test features within the design, test and acceptance approach, fault finding
- Engagement with Stakeholders including: Users, DT technical advisors/assessors
To succeed in these Senior Systems Engineering roles, you will need a degree in a relevant Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or IT discipline or an equivalent wide range of relevant experience.
- Broad competence in systems engineering
- Experience in resolving design challenges
- Experience in engaging specialist engineering disciplines (Safety, Security, ILS) to deliver a complete System solution
- Proven methodical analytical fault finding skills - comfortable working in a technical laboratory while adhering to lab rules e.g. PPE and safe handling
- Experience with structured design methods.
- Must manage and work well in a team environment
- Ability to create well-structured technical documents in accordance with a published schedule
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal communication skills. Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Ability to present formally at progress reviews and contribute productively in
- Experience in the application of practical systems engineering, integration and test on development programmes
- Ability to commit to occasional travel to customer sites and meetings
- Good understanding of the OSI model.
- Understanding of computer and network infrastructures.
- Application of Open and Military Standards.
- Understanding of Safety, Security and ILS processes and their alignment with the Engineering Lifecycle
- Experienced in the use of engineering tools for Requirement Management and System Design,
- Experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering and System Modelling Language (SysML).
- Experience in representing a system of interest through The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) and/or the NATO Architecture Framework (NAF)
If you're looking to make a positive impact and create change, possessing an inclusive and committed approach, you'll be rewarded with a starting salary of £41,600 to £55,000 and an excellent benefits package.
These roles can be Hybrid based with time spent in the office and working from home.
We pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose, offering impressive benefits:
- A compressed nine-day fortnight and compressed hours - which means every other Friday off.
- A personalized career development plan, alongside regular progress reviews - supporting and valuing your progression within the Company.
- A flexible working environment where your contributions are recognized and rewarded with flexible benefits
We believe in maintaining a diverse workplace - inclusive of beliefs, cultural background, job experiences, thoughts and ideas. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we welcome you to join our inclusive team!
We are a Disability Confident Employer, as such we offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your application to be considered under the DC Scheme. For more information on the Disability confident scheme in General Dynamics click here.
All successful/appointed applicants must be able to obtain a level of UK Security clearance that is appropriate for the role and undertake suitable Right to work checks.