General Dynamics Mission Systems engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of more than 13,000 top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defence and scientific arenas. In the UK, we are leading the way in avionics and communication systems. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency.
We are looking for a Systems Engineer to join our inclusive and welcoming team. This full-time Systems Engineer hybrid role is based in Oakdale and offers an attractive salary and benefits package.
As a Systems Engineer, you will contribute to de-risk activities ahead of a migration of a Tactical C4I system from Windows 8.1/Server 2012 to Windows 11/12 and Server 2022. You will also conduct investigations into a number of areas related to OS migration.
In your first few weeks in this Systems Engineer role, you can expect to:
- Work proactively with System Engineering and specialist areas (software, build, security, safety etc) to ensure that all BCIP OS Migration hurdles and opportunities are identified, explored and well documented
- Provide good knowledge and understanding of Windows architectural changes and configuration between versions
- Liaise with external stakeholders
- Contribute to a detailed technical report on the findings for all stakeholders
To apply for this Systems Engineer role, you will need an appropriate educational qualification (degree level preferred), knowledge and vocational background in Engineering (system, hardware, software, electronic communications, and computer systems) or a related discipline. You will also require the following:
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to generate well-written, precise instructions for the installation of applications
- Good Powershell scripting skills
- High attention to detail, with strong configuration control
- Capable of analysing and debugging software integration issues on target hardware and software environments
- Be a Multi-faceted engineer - build production skills plus other relevant experience (e.g. Software Test, Test Automation, Systems Integration)
- Good understanding and experience of supporting and developing Windows based OS systems, supporting and developing Tactical C4I Systems
- Experience of using engineering methodologies and tools to manage system development (HP Application Lifecycle Management, Windows ADK and WSUS systems) at an appropriate level of detail is desirable
- Good working knowledge of the latest Microsoft Windows 64-bit Operating Systems (including OS design and architecture, system services, drivers and security features)
- Ability to generate well-structured technical documents using Microsoft packages and manage through a review process to achieve release to committed deadlines
This role offers Hybrid working - Some regular working on site will be required typically 2 or 3 days a week.
Starting salary for this position is £32,800 £42,000 plus flexible benefits.
We pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose, offering impressive benefits:
- A compressed nine-day fortnight and compressed hours - which means every other Friday off.
- A personalized career development plan, alongside regular progress reviews - supporting and valuing your progression within the Company.
- A flexible working environment where your contributions are recognized and rewarded with flexible benefits
We believe in maintaining a diverse workplace - inclusive of beliefs, cultural background, job experiences, thoughts and ideas. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we welcome you to join our inclusive team!
We are a Disability Confident Employer, as such we offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your application to be considered under the DC Scheme. For more information on the Disability confident scheme in General Dynamics click here.
All successful/appointed applicants must be able to obtain a level of UK Security clearance that is appropriate for the role and undertake suitable Right to work checks.