About the Role
Base Location: Perth, Aberdeen, Glasgow or Inverness
Salary: £49,559 - £63,643 + car / car allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
As an Electrical Design Engineer you'll be responsible for day to day design functions in the central design team working on Large Capital Delivery Projects up to 132kV. Our projects include condition related replacement of existing assets, network reinforcement due to load growth and the installation of new substations to accommodate new customers. In this role you will be:
- Developing detailed project designs that can be consented and safely constructed in compliance with SSEN standards and specifications.
- Producing or verifying design calculations, checking and approving designs to ensure the most appropriate and cost-effective solutions are selected to meet customer and regulatory requirements.
- Considering stakeholder views within the design development phase of the projects.
- Specification of plant through completion of order schedules for primary plant items, which will require an understanding of the plant items and their interaction.
- Supporting the team by providing engineering or technical advice relating to the project designs.
- Coordination of pre-construction surveys, stakeholder engagement and agreement of project scope, producing pre-tender documentation including programmes and financial forecasting, and ensuring compliance with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Knowledge and understanding of power system substation and cable design and operation up to 33kV.
- A qualification (minimum of HNC level) in a relevant discipline or have demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Experience of working under engineering design governance structures and experience of preparing tender documentation.
- Experience of preparing pre-construction information, carrying out design risk assessments, design risk reviews and knowledge of the Construction, Design and Management 2015 Regulations.
- A full current driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.9 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 4,200 highly skilled people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital for the future. We power communities to thrive today and create a net zero tomorrow. Why not join us and help power change, we're looking for great people who love working with others to achieve great results. You'll be empowered to make the right decisions for our customers and have the space to take accountability for the work you do. You'll be working as part of a bigger team, enabling net zero, so team work will be essential. As a part of our business, you become part of something bigger - an established company with a reputation for looking after our people, offering secure and rewarding roles where safety is our number one priority.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Louise on 01738 351698.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.