SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role - Security & Threat Intelligence Lead
Base Location: Havant, Reading or Cardiff
Salary: £Competitive + performance-related bonus and a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Candidates for this role will be required to obtain vetting to SC level through UK Government. The criteria normally includes 5 years UK residency, further information can be found here: United Kingdom Security Vetting: Applicant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The Security & Threat Intelligence Lead proactively manages the function responsible for identifying cyber threats applicable to SSE's systems to reduce any potential impact to an acceptable level. The role holder, as a specialist in the area, will lead and manage the team's operations and performance against the agreed requirements. The role will work closely with the Threat Detection and Response function and internal business stakeholders.
Leadership and Team Management
- Provide guidance and support to business units and wider teams within IT.
- Oversee day-to-day activities for delivering core functions.
- Develop operational documentation and processes.
- Manage team performance.
Threat Intelligence and Minimising Risk
- Research and investigate attack techniques and recommend ways to defend against them.
- Create scripts and select appropriate tools to test attack paths in line with MITRE ATT&CK principles.
- Discover and identify misconfigurations or coverage gaps in existing controls.
- Follow up on deficiencies identified in reviews to ensure that appropriate remediation measures have been taken.
- Report risks using the defined escalation processes.
- Support security investigations to provide post-mortem analysis to illuminate issues and possible solutions.
- Review system logs, SIEM tools and network traffic for unusual or suspicious activity.
- Support incident management and participate in problem and change management forums where required.
Baseline Security Controls
- Continuous evaluation and improvement of Hunting tools. Define operational parameters for use, and conduct reviews of tool performance and outputs.
- Validate baseline security configurations for operating systems, applications, and networking and telecommunications equipment.
- Support defining security testing criteria for systems and applications.
- Collaborate with business unit staff, external business partners and key IT staff members for the purpose of planning, directing, controlling, and maintaining an effective test plan.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Organised approach that can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines in a high-pressure environment.
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating. Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to pick up new technical skills quickly and apply them relevantly.
- Ability to interact with SSE staff at all levels up to senior and across all business units and organisations.
- Ability to gain UK National Security Vetting clearance level of Security Check (SC).
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275846.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.