Bristol MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.Salary
: Circa £45k to £55k
depending on experienceWhat we can offer you:
Dynamic (hybrid) working:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 additional days flexi leave
- Parental benefits including up to 26 weeks full pay for maternity, paternity, adoption, neonatal and shared parental leave
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
- We may be able to offer a relocation package for this role
We trust our people to agree, within their teams, where and when they can be most effective. Our Dynamic Working policy allows individuals flexibility around the hours they work and where they work.The Opportunity:
We have a fantastic opportunity to join our Electro-Optical (EO) Seekers & Sensors Department as a Systems Engineer. We are responsible for supporting MBDA's complex weapon programmes through the provision of specialist Electro-Optical design support. Depending on the programme this will vary from specification and assessment through to delivery and support. We also lead and conduct industry-leading innovative R&D activities to support future emerging programmes.
The nature of the work is broad, varied and dynamically changing. You will work within a highly skilled and expert team that will support you in delivering our commitments. We will work with you to develop your skills, knowledge and experience, as well as supporting your ongoing professional development, all while ensuring a good work-life balance.
The successful applicant will join one of our project teams developing ground-breaking EO Seekers & Sensors for our complex weapons. You will be responsible for driving the technical direction of our products to meet challenging customer requirements by engaging and coordinating with wider specialist design teams and external entities to ensure we successfully deliver on our commitments.What we're looking for from you:
A well-rounded Systems Engineer with experience across the full lifecycle, including:
- Requirements analysis, specifications and justification
- System architecture design and modelling
- System trade studies to inform design decisions
- Technology maturation assessments and FMEA
- Development of interface definitions
- Systems proving, design assurance and certification
We expect all our candidate to a strong set of positive behaviours, as evidenced through:
- Innovation: Continually striving for improvement in all aspects of their work.
- Commitment: Having a consistent track record of on time delivery particularly in a dynamic working environment.
- Integrity: Keeping their word, delivering on their promises and learning from mistakes.
- Passion: Being adaptable, self-starting and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Team Spirit: Ability to engage with a broad range of partners and forge strategic technical relationships.
Additionally, any of the following would be advantageous:
- Knowledge of the physics and technologies involved in Electro-Optical systems
- Practical application of systems engineering processes to develop complex products, defence/aerospace industry or high integrity systems experience ideal
- Experience of model based engineering techniques, including SysML
- Use of systems engineering tools (e.g. IBM DOORS Next, Rhapsody, etc)
- Experience of managing engineering work packages to deliver value outcomes, including co-ordination of other engineering disciplines and subject matter experts
- Managing stakeholders, including customers or suppliers
- Application of Defence, Military or other aerospace standards and design assurance processes is useful
- Experience of working in AGILE teams and applying AGILE frameworks beneficial.
- Knowledge of missile related technologies such as imaging, sensors, guidance, navigation, propulsion, datalinks, energetics, etc
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.