At Leonardo, we have an exciting new opportunity for Supportability Engineers to join us at our new Newcastle office within the Helix Innovation district.
Whether you have extensive industry experience, just starting your career in aerospace or looking to return to the industry this could be the opportunity for you and we are keen to hear from you!
The Supportability department has a unique position within our business as it is involved in the full lifecycle of a programme, from Bid, Development, Production then Customer Support and eventually disposal. We draw engineers from many different disciplines such as Electrical and Electronic, Mechanical, and System Engineering to enhance the Supportability department.
You will be joining one of our multi discipline engineering teams responsible for the delivery of any of our world-class systems across its lifecycle such as:
• Radar for the Eurofighter Typhoon or SAAB Gripen fighter jets
• Our family of Surveillance AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radars
• Our ICRM (Infra-Red Counter Measures) systems
• Our family of laser ranging and designating systems
• Our next generation of radar, laser and electro-optic systems
We expect our people to create strong working relationships with cross-department colleagues in Systems, Electronics, Mechanical, Software, Test Equipment, Quality and Industrial to identify problems on complex systems before they reach Production or the Customer.
As a department, we have a strong focus on continuous improvement of our procedures and processes but also of our department itself and want anyone who joins to be part of that journey. This might include using your engineering talent to grow and develop the Supportability community and skill base through the mentoring, coaching and development of more junior members of the team or contributing to best practices to help drive out the cost and reputational consequence of failure.
We can also help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop, grow and progress in your career!
What you’ll do as a Supportability Engineer:
We are recruiting for a number of roles from a variety of backgrounds and skillsets. Based upon your skills and knowledge we will look to find the best fit for you within the Supportability department.
Typical work you might be involved in within an Integrated Project Team delivering Supportability Engineering work packages covering:
- Reliability Analysis: Able to develop component to system level reliability models including the use of Reliability Block Diagram Methodology on electronic, power, RF, digital and mechanical systems. Experience of reliability testing (e.g. RGT, HALT, ESS)
- Maintainability Analysis: Modular to system level analysis addressing Human Factors and Maintenance Task Analysis. Experience of Reliability Centred Maintenance and Scheduled Maintenance to identify maintenance tasks required to ensure that the equipment meets it operational capability
- Testability Analysis: Able to conduct analysis on systems to establish the effectivity of fault detection and isolation of the equipment BIT when the equipment is in use on its intended platform and during the repair process. Analysis conducted a lowest repairable equipment level
- Product Safety: Product Safety hazard identification and Safety and Environment Impact Analysis and Management including Fault Tree Analysis
- Production Support: Delivering an effective Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) in production or in-service phase of lifecycle
- Support Strategy: Develop a products In-Service Support strategy, carry out Level Of Repair Analysis (LORA), support modelling through-life cost
What we need from you:
You will have a degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline. You will have worked in industry, defence or have other relevant experience.
We are particularly interested in receiving your application if you have experience in any of the following areas:
- Influencing design by analysis of Product Safety and Environmental Impact
- Safety Hazard Identification and Safety Management including Fault Tree Analysis
- Experience of undertaking Failure Modes Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMEA/FMECA)
- Influencing design by analysis of Reliability, Maintainability and Testability (RMT)
- Knowledge of the many UK and International Standards applicable to Safety and RMT
- Availability analysis and modelling
Experience with the following tools and packages would be beneficial: MS Office packages; PTC Windchill; IBM DOORS; Matlab/Simulink; Power BI; JIRA and Python
You must be eligible for full security clearance. For more information and guidance please visit : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels
Life at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Flexible Working: Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits: Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension: Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle: Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training: Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive: You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus: Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 8,000 are based at 8 sites throughout the UK.
At Leonardo UK, we believe that a diverse and inclusive work environment unlocks our people’s full potential and drives innovation and creativity. We work hard to offer a welcoming, accessible and inclusive place to work for all of our people, creating a culture where everyone can thrive, feel safe and have a sense of belonging and connection.
This is a great opportunity to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo’s future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us.
GB - Newcastle