Systems Safety Engineer
- Are you a Systems Engineer looking to broaden your experience of the engineering lifecycle?
- Are you looking to diversify your skills across different products?
- Can you effortlessly switch between looking at the Big Picture and diving down into the details?
Then this is the role for you!
At Leonardo we develop a range of advanced, complex Radar and Electro-Optic sensing products. In addition to meeting our customers’ requirements, we need to ensure our products are safe and comply with regulatory standards.
Safety permeates the entire system. We are looking for Systems Engineers to collaborate with our subject matter experts to engrain safety requirements into the design of our increasingly complex systems.
This role would suit a Systems Engineer who:
- Is comfortable working across the whole system and able to quickly develop an understanding of complex interactions and dependencies
- Is eager to understand the impact of new technologies on safety design
- Is motivated to work closely with multi-disciplined teams to get down into the detail
- Has a high attention to detail and the confidence and drive to challenge others
Depending on experience, there is an opportunity to work across a number of different products, at different stages of the engineering lifecycle.
What you’ll do as a Systems Safety Engineer
Day to day, you will be conducting safety assessments of Radar and Advanced Targeting systems, working closely with other engineers in a variety of disciplines. You will:
- Use safety analysis skills across the full system lifecycle: from requirements analysis (including bids and contracting); through design, development; to system integration, acceptance testing and delivery
- Identify hazards and investigate them using functional failure analysis and other techniques, identifying the necessary mitigations to reduce safety risks, and taking part in design trade-offs to implement them
- Evidence your decisions using the data available to you, through fault tree analysis, scenario analysis, and various other techniques
- Present the outcomes of safety analysis
- Take part in incident or observation analysis as required
- Work closely with many different engineering disciplines, customers, partners and suppliers to solve complex problems
- Contribute to continual improvement of the Company Safety Management System
What we need from you:
You really must have:
- Experience of safety analysis in a safety-critical industry on complex systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working with a variety of internal and external stakeholders of varying seniorities
It would be nice, but not essential, if you had the ability to:
- Work across a number of sub-system teams to develop the system solution
- Work with a high degree of design complexity and significant levels of uncertainty
- Knowledge of lasers, radar systems, and/or sensors and defensive aids systems
- Experience working in the defence industry and of defence standards including Def Stan 00-056 and Def Stan 00-970
Experience with any of the following tools
- Cameo Systems Modeler
- Adelard ASCE
- Isograph FaultTree+
- An interest in new and emerging safety analysis techniques
- A passion for promoting and improving safety culture
- Involvement in cross-industry safety initiatives, such as via the IET or SCSC
You must be eligible for full security clearance and access to UK-caveated and ITAR controlled information. For more information and guidance, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels
Life at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Flexible Working: Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits: Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension: Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle: Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training: Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive: You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus: Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 8,000 are based at 8 sites throughout the UK.
GB - Edinburgh
GB - Newcastle