BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Operational Cyber Engineer - Summer Internship Start Date:
June 2024Base location:
*Closing date 18/02/2024.
Here at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we are committed to helping governments, organisations and society navigate digital threats and opportunities. Whether it’s leveraging data to digitally transform operations or securing organisations and nations from cyber threats, we combine our unrivalled security and engineering heritage to help our clients navigate the data-reliant digital landscape.
As the cyber and intelligence arm of BAE Systems, we employ over 4,800 people across 15 countries in North America, APAC, Europe and the Middle East. With our distinguished heritage, we relish the opportunity to transform digital and data practices, defence, intelligence, security and society for government agencies, law enforcement, financial services, and critical infrastructure.
The Summer Internship programme aims to provide an environment that supports the acquisition of knowledge and experience from industry best practices and importantly, provide roles allowing the application of that understanding through practical experience in day-to-day roles.
You will be part of our Future Talent Community and be assigned a Career Manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career.
You will work as a part of a project team, alongside skilled and experienced individuals who are motivated to train and coach you on the day-to-day skills required to work closely with our customers, both internal and external. You will learn the tools, techniques and approaches used by engineering professionals and apply them in a controlled environment to ensure projects are delivered on time, to quality and to budget. Engineering Interns will support their team to ensure that engineering practices are followed on all aspects of project definition and delivery.
We are looking for talented developers and researchers who can solve our customers’ hardest problems. Trust us; these are not the kind of problems you'll get at a hedge fund, a Shoreditch start-up or even a Silicon Valley tech company. Our customers and the things they want to do are pretty unique. We work across a range of platforms including desktop, mobile and embedded systems and a range of languages including Python, C#, Java and C++.
This is an exciting role for people who love computers and technology, working in the most deeply technical part of the Cyber Security domain. Whether it’s researching new technologies or creating software that makes a difference in the real world, you’ll always be working at the cutting edge of what’s possible. Working in the Cyber and Vulnerability Research area is a hands-on job, so we want people who genuinely enjoy a challenge and getting stuck in to making software or taking systems apart to see how they work.
Day to day tasks could include:
- Working with varied technologies, using the latest and current versions
- Working within teams to develop high assurance products
- Performing cutting edge research
- Developing novel and innovate solution to challenging problems
- Interacting with customers and reacting rapidly to changing requirements
Desired Technical Ability
Aptitude in one or more of the following:
- Microsoft - C, C#, C++, .NET
- Mobile - iOS (Swift, Objective-C), Android (Java, Kotlin, C++)
- Vulnerability Research & Reverse Engineering (IDA/Ghidra/Binary Ninja, Frida)
- O/S - Linux, Windows, MacOS
- Wearables - Android, Apple, Other.
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
What’s in it for you?
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 5.5 days holiday throughout your placement.
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
- You can expect a £24,856 annual salary (pro rata).
- You will need to be studying towards a 2:2 or above in a STEM related Degree, ideally Software or Cyber related.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
What are the next steps?
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- CV submission & review
- Digital assessment
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.