Senior Pulsed Power Engineer
Salary: £62,178 - £68,395 per annum (dependent on skills and experience)
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full time
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and discover the impact you can make when you’re equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best!
Discover the science your skills can enable by bringing your engineering experience to our Central Laser Facility (CLF) based in Oxfordshire. The facility is one of the world’s leading laser centres, providing scientists mainly from the UK and continental Europe with access to an unparalleled range of pioneering laser technology.
An exciting opportunity exists to work on a new project called Vulcan 20-20. The Vulcan high power laser facility sits at the heart of the CLF, and for decades has been internationally recognised as a globally leading laser facility, providing access for UK and international researchers working on a wide range of topics in high energy density and plasma science.
The CLF has recently secured funding for an ambitious £82M upgrade to the Vulcan facility (termed Vulcan 20-20) to increase its power to 20 PW, and its energy to 20 kJ. It will be the highest power laser in the world.
You will join the Vulcan 20-20 team and lead the design, development and build of the 20kV pulsed power system. We are looking to improve and develop our current system, increase repetition rate, amount of circuits and reducing the overall footprint.
Your responsibilities will include:
• leading the design and development of the pulse power system
• leading the installation and commissioning of the capacitor bank
• integrating the pulse power system into the laser control system
We are looking for someone with:
- a degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject or an HNC/HND (or equivalent) with relevant experience working on pulse power systems
- extensive knowledge of pulse power systems experience in the development of pulse power systems
- experience in scientific instrument development and design
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday annually (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days)
- flexible working hours
- an excellent defined average salary pension scheme
- employee shopping/travel discounts
- excellent learning and development opportunities
- visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
Closing Date: 18th February 2024.