AWE is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to provide systems engineering expertise to Orion projects and programmes; working closely with and advising Project Managers and Task Managers to ensure that Systems Engineering methods tools and processes are used to best effect.
If you would like to work within some of the UK's most impressive facilities and in a role which provides excellent careers progression opportunity… we want to hear from you.
Senior Systems Engineer
Package: £44,990- £60,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 07th February 2024
- To lead the development and delivery of viable technical solutions that meet customer requirements. To provide design expertise.
- To support Task Managers and Project Manager in planning and the execution of tasks to deliver specific agreed objectives, demonstrating control of cost, quality and timeliness of engineering output.
- Lead and influence collaborative working and contribute towards the achievement of project goals. Lead the delivery of technical projects when required.
- Provide mentorship and supervision of staff working in systems engineering.
- Elicit, analyse, and translate stakeholder needs into technical requirements.
- Undertake requirements derivation, architecture development and system simulation.
- Undertake modelling and simulation where appropriate to explore the problem space and potential system solutions.
- Undertake requirements verification and validation and support technology teams' derivation of verification and validation events, test cases, test plans and test specifications, to support integration activities.
- Perform or lead trade studies and analyse the relative benefits/merits of competing solutions.
- Manage and develop long term plans in support of life-cycle phases using Systems Engineering best practice.
- Support process capture, implementation, and improvements for integrating the sub-systems.
- Support project reviews for internal programmes and external contracts, including providing written reports and verbal briefs to management and stakeholders.
- To provide break-fix assistance/leadership as required.
- To take up improvement activities as agreed with the Engineering Lead and drive them to completion.
- Ensure appropriate standards are set and best practices implemented.
- To action ISO 15288 best practice.
The hiring manager would be interested in receiving applications from individuals with a Degree/HND/NVQ4 level in STEM vocational qualification, supported by practical experience or equivalent. While we welcome applications from developing Engineers, ideally you will have demonstrable experience in a good quantity of the functional area below:
- Leadership & Management
- Provide a steer to balance the relative priority of technical activities.
- Mentor and coach technical staff.
- Delegate to technically competent staff.
- Execute effective communication at all levels.
- Work closely with Team Leaders (Resource Managers/Line Managers/Project Managers) to ensure an adequate supply of technically competent staff and provide them with performance feedback.
- Promote knowledge management to maintain an appropriate level of technical capability.
- Ensure System Managers maintain an understanding of system requirements, identify shortfalls/risks and sponsor mitigation.
- Deliver within the processes as directed by Design Authority representatives and the Project Controls Lead.
- Work with planners and Task Managers to ensure work is scheduled appropriately.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle.
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance.
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family.
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.