Senior Mechanical Technician
Salary: £42,840 - £47,124 per annum (dependent on skills and experience)
Contract Type: Permanent Position
Hours: Full time
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you’re equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
Discover the science your skills can enable by bringing your engineering experience to our Central Laser Facility. The facility is one of the world’s leading laser centres, providing scientists mainly from the UK and continental Europe with access to an unparalleled range of pioneering laser technology.
We have a great opportunity to work within our Mechanical Engineering Technician team, where you will be responsible for the safe assembly, installation and operation of mechanical and electrical devices. Working under the broader remit of a project engineer or manager, you will manage the installation and problem solve any unforeseen issues that arise.
Your responsibilities will include:
- using engineering drawings to assemble and install mechanical and electrical equipment
- managing an installation plan and processes to meet project requirements
- managing testing and commissioning plans
- ensuring safe and efficient operation of relevant plant and services
We are looking for someone with:
- HNC/NVQ Level 3/BTEC or equivalent in mechanical engineering, along with experience working in an engineering field. In the absence of any formal qualifications you should have significant relevant expertise in many of the specific engineering fields
- experience working in mechanical engineering or a multi-disciplinary engineering environment
- a good understanding of fundamental engineering principles such as materials, machining, mechanical assembly, and hand fitting
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday annually (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days)
- flexible working hours
- an excellent defined average salary pension scheme
- employee shopping/travel discounts
- excellent learning and development opportunities visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
Closing Date: 18th February 2024.