Systems Engineers (Warhead Containers)
AWE have exciting new opportunities for Systems Engineers with experience in requirements definition, functional and physical architectural design, model-based systems engineering and verification and validation. As a member of the WH containers team, successful candidates will be required to support projects developing, procuring, and testing new designs in support both current and future programmes. These projects vary from component level to full system design.
Candidates will be motivated, delivery focused engineers, capable of working within a team and engaging with various stakeholders from different disciplines, internal and external to the nuclear weapons enterprise. An appreciation of the company procedures and processes would be beneficial but not essential.
Location - Reading
Salary: £35,720 - £50,800 (dependent on experience)
Closing Date: 20th February 2024
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
Candidates will be team players who are proactive in nature and happy to work across a variety of projects. Systems Engineers within the Warhead Containers team work on design projects developing defining requirements, apportioning operational, safety and security functionalities across the system and identify the verification methods required. Engineers will be required to travel as part of the role in support of trials, customer interface, external meetings with suppliers and domestic and international R&D projects.
The team works on multiple projects from the concept phase, into service and through to disposal and are responsible for:
- Requirements generation
- Mechanical Design using CAD software (preferably Seimens NX)
- Producing Engineering Drawings
- Supporting the development of Concept of Operations
- Carrying out Verification and Validation activities (including both onsite and offsite trials management)
- Stakeholder Engagement with other (international and domestic) government agencies and regulators
- The development and delivery of viable technical solutions that meet customer requirements
- Leading / Supporting project reviews for internal programmes and external contracts, including providing written reports and verbal briefs to management and stakeholders.
These are excellent and exciting opportunities to join a multi-disciplinary team with a range of experiences. These roles will provide the successful candidates with a wider appreciation of the UK's nuclear weapon enterprise, responsibility in delivering CASD and cross enterprise engagement at all levels.
To be considered for these roles, we would like you to have a degree or higher qualification in an engineering discipline OR proven equivalent experience working in a similar environment. An appreciation of Systems Engineering methods, tools and processes will be required.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to undertake occasional travel.