AWE is at a once-in-a-generation moment supporting national security, managing the in-service Trident warhead and embarking on the development of a replacement warhead. This unique challenge requires innovative and curious minds to ensure the safety of the UK's nuclear deterrent throughout its lifecycle.
We are seeking people with diverse skillsets, at various stages of their careers, including career returners, to join our dynamic team of Nuclear Safety Engineers. We are proud to have such a friendly and supportive group for you to join which offers excellent development opportunities for our staff to progress. Within the team there are a number of learning and training opportunities, for example up to MSc level if desired.
Role: Nuclear Safety Engineer
Location: Reading (office base
Package: £27,960- £71,110 per annum (depending upon skills & experience)
Closing Date: 20th February 2024
Key aspects of the role will be to provide an in-house warhead safety assessment capability in support of delivering the company's strategic objectives. The role will entail effective delivery of warhead safety assessments and providing advice on warhead safety, systems, electrical or mechanical design, explosives, nuclear and process engineering.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
- Deliver warhead safety assessments on time and in full, aligned with company management procedures.
- Conduct safety analysis against requirements and standards across the full engineering lifecycle.
- Ability to apply appropriate safety methods, tools and techniques to a product.
- Ability to consider higher level system and detailed component or material issues.
- Liaise with a range of stakeholders as part of a wider system design and verification team, balancing conflicting priorities and perspectives.
- Support external activities as required as part of the Outreach and Engineering Programme, i.e. through presentations to external conferences/symposia.
Skills and experience
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in science, engineering or related discipline or equivalent level of experience.
- An interest in high consequence safety assessments or looking to develop within a nuclear safety focussed role.
- Able to demonstrate good engineering and scientific judgement.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Maternity Leave- 39 Weeks Full Pay & Paternity Leave- 4 Weeks Full Pay!
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
Candidates must be UK nationals and willing to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role. Occasional international travel will be required as part of the role.