AWE is currently recruiting for a Resins Polymers Specialist
The Warhead Engineering group at AWE is looking for a highly motivated technical specialist with a background in chemistry and extensive experience in polymers, foams, elastomers and resins industry. This role will involve working in a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists within the Non-Nuclear Components Group.
Salary: £44,990 - £60,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing Date: 20th February 2024
Ideally, we are looking for candidates with experience of:
- Supporting research and development programmes within the team, leading projects where applicable
- Developing resin systems and hardeners
- Understanding how the resin and potting systems interact with and stress components
- Understanding how processing may affect the system
- Ensuring the system is safe in hostile and abnormal environments
- Interpreting different sets of requirements to find the optimal potting for different components.
- Working on aging of potting systems
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- Laboratory Experience
- Project Lead experience
- Supervision of laboratory technicians
- Extensive experience in polymers, foams, elastomers, resins industry.
- An understanding of REACH is preferred but not essential
- An understanding of materials and processing in relation to potting would be beneficial
- A chemist willing to work in an engineering environment is essential
We would like to hear from Candidates that have:
- Proactive work approach
- Demonstrable problem solving skills
- The ability to work across multiple teams and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills with colleagues and stakeholders
- A very high level of knowledge and awareness in the field of technical specialism; will develop an understanding of the industry challenges and changes which could impact AWE
- Are willing to promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player
- The ability and desire to work in a laboratory
Ideally, we would expect candidates to have a degree or higher qualification in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline or proven extensive experience working in a similar environment. A proven track record of driving delivery, performance and continuous improvement and demonstrable working appreciation of financial and business requirements is desirable.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role and be willing and able to travel within the UK and overseas as required.