Reference number: 336361
Salary: £38,663 - £41,884. Starting salary of £35,663 - £38,844 with an additional engineering skills allowance of £3,000, increasing to £6,000 after 3 years.
Contract type: Permanent
Working pattern: Flexible working, Full-time, Part-time
About the job
- Are you skilled in vehicle technology and/or engineering?
- Do you enjoy variation in your day-to-day work, being part of a team and making difference?
- Can you adapt to change and bring new ideas to the table?
- Does a vocation with the opportunity for travel, career progression and many other benefits appeal to you?
If you are looking for your next opportunity, we would like to hear from you.
Our work is focused on improving vehicle safety and environmental protection by providing robust testing and certification to national and internationally recognised standards. We are a part of the Department of Transport as the designated UK Vehicle Type Approval Authority. With more than 40 years’ experience, we have become one of the largest and well-respected approval bodies around. This position has been built on a reputation for technical expertise and quality, which is at the heart of everything we do, and what you could be a part of.
Do not just take our word for it, here is Duncan, a Principal Engineer at VCA, to tell you more. Pease also refer to our Candidate Pack and VCA website for more information.
Certification Engineer (youtube.com)
Our engineers are at the core of what we do, making a direct impact on vehicle safety and environmental compliance with the resulting benefit on society. They do this by predominantly witnessing tests at a manufacturers or third-party specialist facilities. We also carry out some testing ourselves.
You will have an opportunity to learn new skills and gain qualifications, working collaboratively with UK and overseas manufacturers with products well before they reach the market. Our team of engineers and experts will aid your development and knowledge on Type Approval legislation, working with new and future vehicle technologies, test methods and equipment, and awareness of conformity of production requirements.
Travel, in the UK and overseas, is often necessary for witnessing testing at manufacturer’s facilities and sites. You will be given the chance to experience new countries and cultures in the role, while benefiting from the flexibility of our hours, allowing valuable time for personal ventures.
You will face variation in your role and will be part of an organisation who cares passionately about you, by giving the support you need to reach your full potential.
Your main duties will include but will not be limited to:
As a Certification Engineer specialising in your technical area, your key responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out or witnessing specialised tests and component/vehicle specification inspections to meet UNECE, EU and National Type Approval standards.
- Managing and completing approval documentation, including specialised test reports and draft approval certificates.
- Working with manufacturers in worst-case and variant selection meetings, to identify the right products to be tested.
To see the full role information, please see the attached role profile.
To do well in this role you will need:
- Experience of working in an engineering capacity, following procedures and understanding regulations or standards.
- Experience of analysing data or documents and reporting on findings.
- Experience of delivering outcomes on time and to a high standard.
- Be able to use a range of information to make effective decisions.
- An ability to balance your workload according to top priorities.
- To collaborate effectively within your team and wider.
- Understand underpinning technical principles relevant to vehicle systems and their associated technology.
- Be proactive in your personal development.
- A qualification in an engineering or technical discipline equivalent to Bachelor’s degree, including Honours and Foundation degree and Diplomas of Higher Education. NQF level 5 and 6; or equivalent experience.
- A full UK driving licence.
A minimum of 60% of your working time should be spent at your principal workplace or on location testing.
Whilst we accept part time applicants, you will be required to work a minimum of 60% full time equivalent of full time hours.
Engineering Skills Allowance
In addition to your basic salary, this role attracts a non-pensionable £3,000 annual allowance in recognition of the requirement for professional engineering and/or relevant professional occupational experience. After 3-years in the HEO post, the allowance will be increased to £6,600 per annum to reflect experience gained in the role. If you work part time, these payments will be pro-rated.
Full UK Drivers Licence
Qualification in an engineering or technical discipline equivalent to Bachelor's degree, including Honours and Foundation degree and Diplomas of Higher Education.
NQF level 5 and 6
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Building and applying knowledge (Applying Technical Knowledge)
- Building and applying knowledge (Developing / maintaining expertise)
Your wellbeing is important to us, which is why we’re pleased to offer a wide range of benefits to all our colleagues, inside and outside of work.
Find out more about the ways you can benefit in our candidate pack attached.
Closing date: Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 25 February 2024.