Senior Electrical Design Engineer
Salary: £53,818 - £59,199 per annum (dependent on skills and experience)
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full time
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you’re equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
Discover the science your skills can enable by bringing your engineering experience to our Central Laser Facility. The facility is one of the world’s leading laser centres, providing scientists mainly from the UK and continental Europe with access to an unparalleled range of pioneering laser technology.
The CLF has recently secured funding for an ambitious £82M upgrade to our Vulcan facility (termed Vulcan 20-20) to increase its power to 20 PW, and its energy to 20 kJ. It will be the highest power laser in the world! We are looking for people like you to help design, build and maintain a wide range of engineering systems for Vulcan 20-20.
As a Senior Electrical Design Engineer, you will work on a variety of different tasks, from decommissioning the current system, panel working, containment and cable installation, working on high voltage systems and commissioning.
Key areas will include:
- identifying user requirements and translating them into working solutions
- producing specifications documents and ensuring they are documented and maintained
- creation of detailed CAD electrical schematics, P&ID’s, panel layout diagrams, wiring plans and BOM
- ensuring commissioning of systems meets the requirements and specifications criteria of the project
We are looking for someone with:
- a degree or equivalent in a highly relevant engineering discipline or a HNC/HND with extensive experience
- experience using Auto CAD Electrical to design control panels and electrical schematics in low voltage and extra low voltage systems
- experience designing complex electrical systems
- experience collecting and documenting project requirements and specifications
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days)
- flexible working hours
- an excellent defined average salary pension scheme
- employee shopping/travel discounts
- excellent learning and development opportunities
- visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
Closing Date: 25th February 2024.