The Target Fabrication Team have an exciting opportunity for an Engineering Manager to work within our world leading laser facility contributing to the successful operations of the Target Fabrication team, driving projects from concept, through design, procurement, manufacture, and assembly, to handover to our Plasma Physics experimental facility.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager, preferably with an Engineering or Science background, to manage and develop and shape highly dynamic delivery team within 3TC. The ideal candidate should have experience of successfully developing high-performing teams and a proven track record of people focus, driving delivery, performance, and continuous improvement.
This is an exciting role with the accountability of the design and delivery of targets that support high energy density plasma physics experiments on laser facilities around the world.
Role: Engineering Manager
Location - Aldermaston, Berkshire (on-site).
Package - £35,720 - £53,000 pa (depending on your suitability and level of experience).
Closing Date: 15th February 2024
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities of an Engineering Manager:
- Accountable for leading, supervised tasking, coaching and developing a team at a local level to deliver team and personal objectives safely and securely to meet our operational plans.
- Assessing staff performance, measured against agreed personal objectives and accountabilities, and taking corrective action to improve performance where necessary via appropriate management interventions.
- Use the business strategy to define the teams' operational plan while managing resources in a safe, secure and cost-efficient manner.
- Be responsible for the technical quality of the work undertaken by the team and/or teams through appropriate internal (i.e. with Subject Matter Experts) and external reviews
- Responsible for knowledge capture to maintain, share, preserve and protect intellectual property.
- The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
To be considered for this role, we will require you to hold a relevant qualification (ONC/HNC in scientific or STEM discipline, or equivalent NQF level 4/5) or Leadership qualifications.
We are particularly keen to hear from those with a background of strategic and tactical planning as well as those who have strong stakeholder and customer management skills.
Whilst not considered a checklist, the successful candidate would also benefit from:
- Experience leading a team including objective setting and staff performance.
- Experience of engineering design and function.
- An awareness of Systems Engineering.
- An understanding and practical application of analytical techniques.
- Safety management systems.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Maternity Leave- 39 Weeks Full Pay & Paternity Leave- 4 Weeks Full Pay!
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.