Qualified/experienced person to support the Electricity Team in delivery of Connect’s Energy Delivery Plan. Please request an application form from firstname.lastname@example.org CV will not be accepted
The primary purpose of the role is to support the Electricity Team in Connect Saint Helena Ltd (Connect) in the delivery of Connect’s Energy Delivery Plan. The Senior Renewable Energy Engineer will serve as one of the champions in the effective design and implementation of the Plan.
The Energy Delivery Plan sets out a roadmap for phased delivery of improvements in the energy sector on St Helena, particularly to support plans for energy transition on St Helena, with the objective of reaching 80% electricity generation from renewable energy sources by 2027/28.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Technical Manager (Electricity), the duties of the Senior Renewable Energy Engineer will include but not be limited to:
• Managing the Energy Delivery Plan as a ‘live’ document, including:
• Research into the key areas of work identified within the Energy Delivery Plan, particular in relation to the technical solutions proposed.
• Carrying out market research and engaging with potential suppliers. Updating the Energy Delivery Plan as results from market research become available.
• Providing regular reports and updates to Connect senior management and the Connect Board of Directors
• Providing comprehensive technical, programme and project support to ensure effective implementation of the Energy Delivery Plan including:
• Providing technical advice as required. Representing Connect Saint Helena Ltd on relevant project/programme boards.
• Liaising with all partners involved in design feasibility.
• Preparing, gaining internal approval of, refining and updating project business cases.
• Researching and applying for donor funding, as required (note that short-term targets within the Energy Delivery Plan are already funded whilst longer-term initiatives are still at design stage).
• Developing and agreeing budgets in connection with the Energy Delivery Plan in conjunction with the Technical Manager (Electricity) and controlling forecast and actual costs against them.
• Developing terms of reference, requests for proposals and providing such support as is required for planned procurement processes.
• Developing and agreeing contracts for the provision of goods and/or services, monitoring compliance and managing variances.
• Establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for the delivery of projects, defining clear roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities that align with organisational practice.
• Preparing and maintaining schedules of activities and events of projects and/or programmes, taking account of dependencies and resource requirements.
• Identifying and monitoring project risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues that affect projects.
• Managing stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests.
• Establishing and managing reviews at appropriate points, during and after projects, which will inform governance of projects by providing evaluations of progress, methodologies and continuing relevance.
• Developing and implementing communication plans around key activities.
• Flexible and adaptable approach with a willingness to undertake a diverse range of activities under the Energy Delivery Plan.
• Background in engineering relating to renewable energy or electrical engineering: the ability to interpret engineering specifications and relevant technical guidance is a key requirement of the role.
• Sound understanding of 'best practice' in project/programme management.
• Able to integrate well into a team as well as work independently.
• Strong English communication skills at all levels with the client, suppliers, contractors, and design team - both written and oral.
Highly developed organisational skills, demonstrated through the ability to manage conflicting priorities whilst delivering on key milestones
The successful candidate should have the following qualifications and experience:
- • BSc in Electrical engineering (preferably with focus on renewable energy technology or similar).
• Over 5 years previous experience in the energy sector, with experience in renewable energy being preferred.
• Over 5 years experience in project/programme management and delivery in the Renewable Energy Sector, including possessing Prince 2 Practitioner or equivalent.
• Experience of budget management and cost control.
• Have excellent written and verbal English skills.
• Possess a Class A Drivers licence.
Connect Saint Helena Ltd offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Other benefits include 15% pension contributions of the base salary and 25 days annual leave.
• Office or site based as required.
• Site conditions may be hazardous and a high awareness of Health & Safety of self and others is essential.
• Unsociable hours when required.
Asset Responsibilities - Computer
Total Staff Supervision N/A
Budget Responsibilities - The Technical Manager (Electricity) will serve as the overall budget holder but will delegate responsibility to the Senior Renewable Energy Engineer as required. This will vary depending on the stage within the Energy Delivery Plan.
Key Contacts - The Electricity Generation Team, Connect Senior Management, Connect Board of Directors, together with suppliers, tenderers, donors as required, as well as the general public and wider stakeholders.
Connect Saint Helena Ltd. is the sole supplier of utility services on Saint Helena. Many of the systems are without backup and directly relate to the quality of the product, failure may therefore result in service disruption and/or consumer dissatisfaction.
This job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. There may be other adhoc duties that fall within the remit of the role that the job holder may need to complete. In addition, the job holder will be required to carry out any other reasonable duties as requested which are commensurate with the grading and level of responsibility for the role.