MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.Salary
: Circa £47k dependent on experience depending on experienceWhat we can offer you:
Dynamic (hybrid) working:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 additional days flexi leave
- Our enhanced parental leave offers up to 26 weeks for maternity, adoption and shared parental leave. Enhancements are available for paternity leave, neonatal leave and fertility testing and treatments.
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
We trust our people to agree, within their teams, where and when they can be most effective. Our Dynamic Working policy allows individuals flexibility around the hours they work and where they work. Typically for this role you will work 4 days per week on-site.The opportunity:
An exciting new opportunity has become available within the Manufacturing Engineering team for a Principal Manufacturing Engineer to join the team.The opportunity will allow you to grow your knowledge within manufacturing as part of development into future opportunities. Industrial Validation, manufacturing architecture and factory of the future principles are some of the work packages that provide stretched objectives for such growth.What we're looking for from you:
- Working with the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, you will potentially be working on multiple projects / multiple manufacturing tasks whilst also being responsible for team leadership:
Role requirements (skills, training and qualifications):
- Support Senior Manufacturing Engineers in their day-to-day technical role
- Manage team work load, priorities, and key problems ensuring delivery on time
- Provide team leadership: managing team holidays and dynamic working, sickness/absence, appraisals, courageous conversations and representing the team in several business forums
- Support the manufacturing area in its growth and rate increase
- Promote continuous improvement through the team/organisation and lead CI activities
- Being part of the appraisal process to support team members contribution ratings
- Recognising high performing team members through Reward & Recognition and development plans
- Manage the industrial validation process through the use of FMEA's, process proving activities etc., ensuring IV dashboards are up to date and current
- Define manufacturing architecture to operate lean principles, whilst also compiling business cases for process improvements/factory of the future concepts
- Ensure the team management of configuration control by the embodiment of design modifications into the Manufacturing documentation and industrial validation
- Support the Non Conformance Process
- Assume the responsibilities for safe operating implementation for changed processes, including liaising with COSHH assessors, SHE and Human factors
- Interface with the design authority during the product prototype/development phase, to ensure optimised Design for Manufacture (DfM), or in the production phase for change implementation
- Lead the team in ensuring updates of Manufacturing Instructions and maintenance of production BOMs and on time and in line with master production schedule (MPS).
- Formal technical Engineering/Craft Apprenticeship to NVQ Level 3/TR23/TR21
- Formal further education certificate to HNC or equivalent in a relevant subject
- BEng in relevant Engineering Degree
- Able to work with minimum supervision:
- Be highly motivated and enthusiastic, to create/maintain a high performing team
- Be a recognised point of contact for manufacturing enquiries through the deployed team
- Must demonstrate a proactive approach to problem solving and commitment to work to meet our delivery milestones.
- Have the ability to interpret Design Drawings with a view to producing Manufacturing Build Instructions.
- Must be confident in people leadership and holding effective team/individual discussions
- Awareness of digital communication platforms to work and communicate effectively within the workplace
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential. MBDA is proud of our employee-led networks, examples include: Gender Equality, Pride, Menopause Matters, Parents and Carers, Armed Forces, Ethnic Diversity, Neurodiversity and more...
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.Please Note
: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.