Salary: Band D (S1) £40,800 to £44,880 gross per annum (dependent on skills and experience)
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full-Time (We understand the importance of work-life balance, and are happy to discuss the possibility of flexible working with applicants)
Location: Daresbury Laboratory - Warrington
Data engineers are required to join the Hartree Centre, an innovative and multi-disciplinary Sci-Tech organisation. Are you looking to use the very latest data frameworks, applications, and services in the cloud and on-premises in a role with career prospects, extensive benefits, and learning & development that is second to none? Then this is the job for you!
Hartree’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of cutting-edge computing to allow the organisations we work with to be innovators in their fields. We work across a diverse range of business and scientific domains and collaborate with small businesses, large enterprises, and universities to address their most pressing challenges. We are proud of the Centre’s real-world economic and societal impact, and you will join a culture that focusses on the worthwhile application of the latest technologies at scale. You will be supported by a friendly and collaborative culture, and while we are serious about results, our experience of getting there is enjoyable and fun. We are well-established, expanding and backed by UK government investment.
- Building data pipelines and configuring & deploying technologies for dealing with data at scale.
- Data analysis and synthesis, helping teams apply a range of techniques for data profiling.
- Conducting exploratory analyses of data and developing ways of automatically preparing data for machine learning at high volume and velocity.
- Writing well structured, tested, and maintainable software & scripts in small agile teams.
- Participating in code & technology reviews and presenting your work in knowledge exchange sessions
- Deploying and scaling apps and services using CI/CD and managing your work with VCS/DVC systems.
- Creating high-quality data assets, documentation, reports, case studies, and web content.
- Assisting our Business Development team to build new relationships and opportunities.
- Assisting with use case analysis, story mapping, requirements capture, and project planning.
- Supporting your colleagues by continuing to learn and grow.
We are looking for candidates with experience in some or all the following:
- Degree or equivalent in a computer-related discipline or applied discipline.
- Background in data engineering & building data intensive apps in private, public, or academic sector.
- Server-side dev experience with at least two general purpose programming languages (Java, Kotlin, Python, Go, C++/C#).
- Experience with various application deployment architectures (FaaS, K8s & Containers) with CI/CD.
- Basic Linux systems administration.
- Experience of batch & streaming stacks such as Spark, Flink, Pulsar & Kafka and ML/AI Ops will be an advantage.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of, and they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
STFC values their employees by offering a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance. This includes 30 days’ annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege holidays, flexible working hours, exceptional average salary pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies and a subsidised restaurant.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 25/02/24