Lead Electrical Engineer
Location: Aberdeen, UK
What we’re looking for
Lead Electrical Engineer working within the organisations Global Technical Support Office, with this role specifically based in Aberdeen, United Kingdom (UK).
Are you an engineer with a passion for the offshore industry? Do you want to work in a technical environment where you can use your expertise to share with clients and contribute to safety?
If so, then working as an Lead Electrical Engineer for Lloyd’s Register is something for you!
We will offer you a challenging but conducive work environment and the opportunity to develop yourself and realise your ambitions.
We are currently looking for an experienced engineer to play a key role working within the Electrical & Control Team, carrying out design appraisal of complex offshore electrical systems, giving pragmatic advice to colleagues and clients and also to mentor less experienced colleagues.
What we offer you
- Work for Leading Class Society
- Collaborative working environment
- Opportunity for 15% matched Pension (UK only)
- Hybrid working
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- A range of flexible benefits
- The opportunity to work for an organization that has a strong sense of purpose is values-driven, and helps colleagues to develop professionally and personally through our range of people development programs
The Electrical & Control Team within the organisations Global Technical Support Office has a strong specialisation in design review of Electrical, Instrumentation & Control Systems for marine and offshore facilities, which are referred to in accordance with Statutory Regulations, Flag State Requirements and Classification Rules and International Standards.
The work the Electrical & Control Team carries-out has helped cement LR’s position as one of the leading classification societies in the maritime industry and key Certification provided for fire protection products on marine and offshore hydrocarbon facilities.
Working with a global team of engineers, field surveyors, and clients to propose innovative solutions to problems, and advise on the time and cost of work involved. Continuous focus on professional development, actively seeking out opportunities to enhance expertise and keep skills fully up to date.
- To carry out design appraisal of offshore industry fire and safety arrangements and systems against Codes and Standards and Regulations and Client project requirements, within agreed parameters that includes budget constraints and contractual requirements.
- To provide sound Technical and Regulatory guidance to Clients during the design and construction phase and participate in meetings or workshops where required.
- To perform assessments and provide specialist advice for service delivery, research or development work within agreed parameters that includes budget constraints and contractual requirements.
- To apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to design, develop, manufacture, construct, commission, operate and maintain engineering products, processes, systems and services.
- To produce the deliverable within the agreed parameters in a defined format.
- To assess / recommend the time / value of the work to be undertaken for an internal / external client within an agreed fee / cost structure.
- To discuss / present the deliverable with the internal / external client and be able to suggest alternative solutions where appropriate.
- Undertake administration as required in line with current processes and procedures.
- To pursue Continuous Professional Development and maintain a high degree of discipline, knowledge and awareness.
- To assist in service delivery improvement by communicating internal / external client feedback as appropriate.
- To coach other employees, as appropriate, and disseminate information to achieve effective knowledge transfer and application.
- Conduct activities in line with internal procedures, accreditation schemes, legislation, and industry standards.
- Conduct occasional site visits at various ship yards, client sites, testing laboratories, or production facilities as required to successfully complete projects.
- To make suggestions to improve service delivery effectiveness through changes to processes or work scope such that it leads to a reduction in appraisal effort (where applicable).
- Assisting the business in the bid and win process for new projects by accurately estimating time requirements for a range of projects.
- Management and oversight of project schedules, financial tracking, contract risk management procedures and issues plus associated project documentation and supporting compliance with all legal, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Providing visible, pro-active HS&E leadership, ensuring that all LR Corporate and local HS&E policies and processes are followed, including any necessary client-specific requirements, in particular, ensuring that stated requirements for incident reporting, task risk assessment and safe methods of work are followed
What you bring
- A degree or equivalent from a tertiary organisation recognised by Lloyd’s Register within the relevant field of Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years of working experience in a related Electrical Engineering area.
- Knowledge of Classification / Certification / Verification is desirable.
- Exposure to Consultancy, Concept / FEED / Detailed Design and EPC projects.
- Working knowledge of Electrical Engineering for the Offshore Industry and able to participate in multi-discipline Engineering Design Reviews and provide all necessary Electrical engineering input and support to close out of actions.
- In depth knowledge and experience of electrical engineering design of Low Voltage (below 1500V DC and 1000V AC) and High Voltage (above 1500V DC and 1000V AC) systems, electrical equipment and system installations in potentially explosive atmospheres (hazardous areas), Variable Speed Drives/Inverter Systems, UPS Systems, Emergency power systems.
- Understanding of the methodologies behind all types of electrical analysis, and working knowledge of the following:
- Data input required for calculations
- Load flow studies
- Fault level studies
- Transient stability studies
- Harmonic studies
- Time domain analysis studies of DC systems
- Exposure in the New Energy/Low Carbon / Energy Transition space such as CCUS, Green Hydrogen, Blue Hydrogen, Offshore Wind, Power to X, Emissions Reduction) would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of international Codes and Standards and Rules and Regulations (e.g., LR Rules for Offshore Units, IEC Standards, IMO MODU Code, SOLAS, etc.).
- Basic project management techniques are desirable.
- Experience of leading / managing and recruitment within a technical team is desirable.
- UK work Visa
We are a leading international technical professional service provider and a leader in classification, compliance, and consultancy services to the marine and offshore industry, a trusted advisor to our customers helping to design, construct and operate their assets to the highest levels of safety and performance. We are shaping the industry’s future through the development of novel and innovative technology for the next generation of assets, while continuing to deliver solutions for our customers every day.
Be a part of
Lloyd’s Register is wholly owned by the Lloyd’s Register Foundation, a politically and financially independent global charity that aims to engineer a safer world through promoting safety and education. For a thriving ocean economy, Lloyd’s Register colleagues and Lloyd’s Register Foundation work together to fund research, foster industry collaboration and develop action-oriented solutions to make the world a safer place.
Want to apply
We hire people with a wide variety of skills, experience, and backgrounds. This includes people with disability, women, people identifying as LGBTIQIA+, culturally and linguistically diverse people, carers, and other varied groups.
We are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to all candidates. Please let us know if you need any assistance or reasonable adjustments throughout your application and we will do everything we possibly can to support you.
If you don't tick every box in these ads, please don't rule yourself out. We focus on hiring people who share our goal of working together for a safer, sustainable, thriving ocean economy.
We care, we share, we do the right thing
If you have further questions about this role, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you as soon as possible.