Software Architect, Test Systems
MBDA has entered the next phase of its exciting evolution as a world class and dominant European missile company. The growing workload within MBDA has created a stimulating opportunity for a Software Architect within the Test Systems team to lead the technical definition of the software for the Test Solutions being developed for our missile systems.
The Test Systems team is tasked with supplying a full range of test solutions, from overall Missile test to Board test plus Simulators and Field Support equipment. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to develop and apply technical skills across our broad range of products. The role lies within the Embedded Software department and incorporates engineers across a range of multi-faceted Test Systems. The Software Architect role is critical to the development of test solutions that respond to the functionality and performance requirements associated with the product being tested.
What’s in it for you?
This is a great role for someone with a passion for software and its successful deployment in modern weapon systems. You will be working with technology that is at the forefront of European missile system design, helping to develop safe, secure and reliable products that our customers can rely on.
- Developing high level design solutions in response to the test requirements for the product under test, in collaboration with the system architect.
- This is a senior position, with some hands-on development to produce the initial version of the software product or to support the investigation of design issues.
- Collaborating with other professionals to address the functional and non-functional requirements for new test systems.
- Successfully communicating concepts to senior management (e.g. as part of the product review activities) and the development teams.
- Providing technical guidance and coaching to our engineers and additionally supporting assessments throughout the development of design test solution implementations.
- Ensuring software meets all requirements of quality, security, reusability, modifiability, extensibility etc.
- Supporting evidence of compliance of the architecture and its instantiation to the requirements.
- Defining the test approach for applications, with a particular focus on the strategy for regression testing (testing/verifying that changes do not compromise the functioning of the product).
- Identifying product and process improvements relating to the development of existing and future products.
- The test and simulation solutions for our products use components that have been developed as a result of strong international collaboration and are developed for use by other organisations within MBDA. Consequently, there may be the opportunity to travel both within the UK and to our sites in France and Italy.
- We offer a supportive working environment with the opportunity to develop your skills across a wide range of products and technologies.
What’s great about the team?
- The UK Test Systems team is a multi-disciplined dynamic, focussed and agile team of about 100 engineers specialising in all aspects of Test Solution design, including hardware, software and embedded real-time systems. These skills are co-located providing an atmosphere of supportive cooperation and interdependence whose strengths are well placed to face the challenges of the future.
- The Embedded Software department develops the software that drives some of the most advanced missile systems in the world. The department applies small, focused teams of engineers to complex problems, contributing to a talented group of experienced software, systems and electronics engineers developing very interesting, technically advanced products.
What are we looking for?
Ideally, we are looking for an experienced Software Architect able to make intuitive high level decisions for software development. Applicants with significant, related, software development experience will also be considered for development into the role.
- You will see the “big picture” and create architectural approaches for software design and implementation to guide the development team
- You will have experience in developing in C/C++ ideally within a real time context.
- You will have some integration knowledge of common interfacing standards such as Ethernet & RS422.
- You will have a good knowledge of modern development approaches and tools.
- Ideally you will have a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering together with significant experience in software development for COTS and bespoke hardware.
- You will need to be comfortable work and communicate with engineers from disciplines other than software across MBDA’s European operation.
- It would be desirable, although not essential, for you to have previous experience working within the defence, automotive, aerospace, telecoms or consumer electronics sectors.
- You will favour a collaborative open approach to development and have the ability to inspire others; ensuring that an agreed Test Solution is understood and maintained during development.
You will demonstrate the following behaviours:
Be capable of developing a collaborative relationship with other team members.
An innovative approach to complex problems focused on a timely high quality solution.
What you would get:
Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news, LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)