Missile Mechanical Architect
What’s the opportunity?
Mechanical Architects are involved in all aspects of missile development, from the early concept studies to series production support within MBDA and also may be responsible for managing the technical aspects of development with our major equipment suppliers. It’s an excellent opportunity for someone wanting to build on their design experience and progress to a more senior technical role, such as Chief Design Engineer.
What will you be doing?
The role is responsible for the delivery of the missile mechanical architecture requirements and typical responsibilities include:
- Establishing the Missile Airframe Task Requirements Specification (TRS) to ensure a structured & coherent mechanical response to the overall Missile TRS
- Management of the mechanical interface with the launcher
- Management of Mechanical & Thermal Interfaces across the Missile
- Defining the optimum mechanical architecture for all variants of the missile, ensuring the mechanical architecture and interfaces meet requirements
- Implementation of GMA Policies to ensure Modularity & Reuse objectives are achieved
- Development of the overall proving logic for the validation of the Airframe
- Ensuring mechanical compliance to the Airframe TRS for missile certificate of design
- Interface with and manage customer expectations throughout the development process
- Producing Statements of Work and plans for activities within their sphere of responsibility
- Direct technical supervision of engineers within their team and indirect management of engineers in the extended project team
- Controlling assigned budgets, managing personal workload and identifying any further resource needs
What are the benefits for you?
- Coming from a design background it’s an obvious career progression from a design role to Mechanical Architect, as it gives the opportunity to experience a broader view of the development process through interaction with Systems Designers, Chief Engineers and Suppliers. Longer term there are opportunities to become a Team Leader within the Chief Design Engineer (CDE) Project teams as an interim step to becoming a CDE.
What’s great about joining this team?
- There are about 30 staff within the Mechanical Architecture UK Functional Team, who are all collocated with their Project Teams in Stevenage. You will be working for the Project CDE and interact with a broad range of other Functions within MBDA, but have a high degree of autonomy and represent the Project / Function in many meetings.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Ideally educated to degree level (or equivalent) with significant experience of mechanical engineering
- Ability to technically manage internal and sub-contract activities
- Strong leadership skills, able to establish a clear engineering vision
Good knowledge and experience of mechanical design, including:
- Static & Dynamic Analysis
- Design for Environment
- Thermal Management
Good understanding of broader engineering disciplines, such as:
- Experience developing proving logic and managing the generation of compliance evidence towards Certificates of Design
- Experience across the full Product Life Cycle
- Ability to influence senior managers and other stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and well developed communication skills (written & verbal)
- Willingness to travel within UK and Europe when appropriate
Why you should come and work at MBDA
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What you would get
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)