Senior Engineer (Technical Regulations)
circa £35,000 to £48,000 per annum
The IET are seeking a Senior Engineer to join our standards and compliance team.
The successful Senior Engineer will have technical clarity in speech with experience in BS 7671 (Wiring Regulations). Strong presentation and people skills are essential. The ideal candidate will be a calm and professional individual with the ability to work well in a team. You will have outstanding customer service skills and experience in dealing with people at all levels.
There are two key parts to this role:
- To support the work of JPEL/64 by undertaking managerial and secretarial duties for that committee and its subcommittees in the further development of BS 7671 in liaison with BSI. Duties will involve:
- planning schemes of work, organizing meetings, preparing agendas, issuing minutes, distributing documents and preparing draft responses to IEC and CENELEC enquiries, as necessary and to carry out the actions as agreed at those meetings.
- To support the IET’s charitable remit and enhance its standing in industry through the dissemination of information. Duties will involve:
- identifying new areas for which IET guidance and support materials can be developed, working within the processes to develop content and publish in different media.
- the provision of information and guidance to IET Members, others in industry and the general public on matters relating to BS 7671, by telephone, email or in writing.
- to represent the IET as a speaker at external events, on external committees and to support the technical work of Stakeholders.
Main Duties and Responsibilities (summary)
- support the work of JPEL/64 in the development of BS 7671 and its amendments, as necessary
- following training and in-position development to undertake secretarial and managerial duties for various committees and Panels, organize meetings, prepare agendas, take and create minutes, distribute documents and prepare draft responses to IEC and CENELEC enquiries as necessary and carry out the actions as agreed at these meetings
- with support during the first 12 months of the role to represent the IET on external technical committees and support the work of Stakeholders, countrywide
- attend industry events developing the knowledge and skills to present seminars and provide technical information as required, countrywide
- to provide guidance to IET Members, Stakeholders, others in industry and the general public on matters relating to BS 7671, initially in writing supported by senior team members moving on to handle technical helpline enquiries. .
- to liaise with team members, technical representatives from industry and educational institutions, especially in the contracting sector
- to attend appropriate meetings on behalf of the unit or on behalf of the Institution as instructed by the Technical Regulations Manager
- to assist in the maintaining of existing IET publications, the developing of new publications and new streams of business
- assist with the work of the greater Standards and Compliance department as directed by the Technical Regulations Manager
- to represent the UK National Committee (JPEL/64) as an expert on international and European standardization committees attending meetings worldwide, with support from Technical Regulations Manager
- to speak at IET branch events and at the events of Stakeholders initially with the guidance of the Technical Regulations manager
- write articles for the IET’s Wiring Matters magazine and, where requested , the media of Stakeholders
- an experienced electrical engineer with expertise in electrical installation practices in the UK, ideally qualified to Incorporated Engineer level
- lecturing and/or public speaking experience desirable
- a good working knowledge of the IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No.3 2015, associated legislation and existing industry guidance
- sound technical ability in order to draft technical papers, guidance and interpretation
- first-rate communication skills to liaise with team members, senior technical representatives from industry and educational institutions, especially in the contracting sector
- strong organizational skills
- dynamic and able to diversify
- excellent IT abilities, emphasis on proficiency in MS Word
- will be required to work on specialised content platforms, e.g. XML (training will be provided)
- meticulous attention to detail in the presentation and delivery of work and of written English
- professional attitude
- able to work alone and within a team
- must be self-motivated
- understanding of publishing procedures
- understanding of the standards making process and the roles of standards bodies, such as BSI, CENELEC and IEC.