Radio Frequency Engineer/Technician
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We are now looking to recruit a Radio Frequency (RF) Engineer/Technician. The role provides technical support to the RF group, in the fields of high power IOT and klystron-based amplifiers and in electronics and low-level RF. They will support the operation of Diamond’s RF plant in general; including management of all aspects of assigned technical projects.
The responsibilities include the following:
- Support the operation of high power amplifiers in the storage ring and injector RF plant;
- Day-to-day checks and performance analysis of installed systems;
- Support the design, development and building of ‘in house’ RF equipment as required;
- Participate in RF amplifier and cavity upgrade projects;
- Contribute to the development and testing of a new digital low-level RF system;
- Maintain the present analogue LLRF systems;
- Contribution to electronic circuit and RF system modelling and design within the RF Group;
- Detailed fault analysis of RF trips and the production and implementation of formal corrective action plans;
- Development and execution of detailed maintenance programmes and monthly reporting of maintenance plans, faults and ongoing issues;
- Contribute to the general studies of the Diamond accelerators, with particular emphasis on RF related effects;
- Presentation of Diamond RF systems to the wider synchrotron community;
- Responsible for technical and contractual supervision of supply contracts as allocated;
- Participate in on-call rota for out-of-hours support of the Diamond RF plant;
- Supervision of external contractors and technicians as assigned;
- Contribute to ensuring safe working practices, relating to the maintenance and operation of all RF systems;
- Carry out any additional tasks and responsibilities as nominated by the Group Leader.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 16 July 2017.
Diamond is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.