Knowledge Transfer Manager – Advanced Materials
Knowledge Transfer Manager – Advanced Materials
We are looking for a determined, bright, analytical and goal-orientated individual with current and relevant knowledge and experience in advanced materials to join our Materials team in providing business support to companies developing and/or using advanced materials, particularly structural and high temperature materials.
This post will focus on supporting KTN activities relating to the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF) priorities for Advanced Materials. The role will facilitate business growth and help drive knowledge transfer between the science and technology base and industry, promoting networking and stimulating innovation relevant to industrial applications of advanced materials.
The post will be varied, working with businesses across multitude of sectors, providing technical capability to help UK industry to create economic value by innovating with advanced materials with a focus on opportunities driven by the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF). An analytical mind and understanding of how supply chains work or experience of specifying advanced materials for industrial applications are essential.
The suitable candidate will be required to address KTN KPIs with particular attention to business interaction, Innovate UK support and engagement with relevant Research Councils and universities conducting research in the field of advanced materials, particularly in the area of structural and high temperature materials.
Reporting to: Head of Materials.
Grade: Knowledge Transfer Manager £35,000 - £47,500 (depending on experience).
Location: Home or office based working with considerable UK travel expected.
- Assist in gathering and analysing evidence from companies and industry bodies to inform industrial challenge priorities relating to advanced materials.
- Prepare future work programmes for advanced materials in agreement with stakeholders and team members, working with industry to identify industry needs.
- Identify and monitor trends, drivers and opportunities for innovation in the industrial application of advanced materials through interaction with business and the technology base.
- Ensure that industry is aware of the funding opportunities available for research and innovation involving advanced materials.
- Facilitate networking opportunities for industry to meet with peers and potential collaborators through the organisation of workshops and other meetings, etc.
- Actively promote opportunities and relevant activities in advanced materials through various media.
- Visit companies, research institutions and universities, mainly within the UK, to understand their R&D needs and innovation capabilities.
- Work within the Materials team to understand the materials technology needs of UK Industry and the scientific capabilities of the research base, facilitating the transfer of knowledge within and between these groups and the establishment of collaborations.
- Help understand and facilitate access to Knowledge Transfer support mechanisms for businesses and to help develop funding and investment applications.
- Assist in promoting the use of advanced materials to manufacturing and product application sectors in the UK. This will include visiting companies and identifying how innovations involving advanced materials can help their specific business.
- Promote KTN and innovation within a business context to advanced materials development and user companies, including the preparation of promotional material and the use of various media.
- Display and maintain a good scientific and technical knowledge in a broad range of topics relating to advanced materials, in particular structural and high temperature applications.
- Liaise closely with KTN staff in all disciplines to ensure a good understanding of other sector activities, but primarily to maintain well informed and integrated working for cross-sector opportunities.
- Contribute to and lead on the writing of articles for newsletters, blogs of interest to KTN members.
- Design, plan and deliver events and workshops. Author reports where applicable.
- Track outcomes resulting from KTN interventions, seeking case studies and metrics capture.
- Support KPI delivery and provide regular reporting of activity and outcomes.
- Work within the KTN structure in a flexible manner, e.g. take part in joint activities with colleagues in other teams.
Experience and qualifications
- The post is to be based in the Materials team focussed on industrial challenges, so a background or strong interest in materials technology/engineering or related discipline is required.
- A degree in materials science /engineering or related area is required. A postgraduate qualification in a similar field is also preferred.
- Practical experience in using analytical tools to gather and analyse supply chain and market data is desirable. Need to demonstrate good understanding of market drivers and trends.
- Experience in the private sector is desirable.
- Awareness of knowledge transfer or business analysis and development processes would be beneficial.
- This role requires a highly motivated, self-starting individual who is numerate and has a good understanding of commercial issues or an ability to learn on the job.
- Must be a good communicator with well developed written and verbal skills and equally importantly must be a good listener and able to interact with a wide variety of clients.
- Flexible, reliable and adaptable with good interpersonal and time management skills.
- Must have good IT skills with at least familiarity with MS Office suite or similar, internet and email usage.
- Sound scientific and technical knowledge across a range of disciplines.
- Holder of a driving licence preferred, a willingness to travel by public transport or by own car is required as post involves considerable travel including overnight at times.