System Engineer (Products Lead)
GDUK is currently pursuing competitive work related to MORPHEUS, the UK MOD programme that is working to replace the Bowman CIP Tactical C4I system used by British Armed Forces. This Principal Systems Engineer role is to lead the team which will specify, acquire, adapt and/or develop products (software and hardware) targeted primarily at the MORPHEUS programme.
The role is responsible for leading the Product Team, defining the Product requirements & specifications, performing trade-off analysis and defining the development & integration programme and performing validation of products against the solution architectural building blocks.
The role requires working in collaboration with 3rd parties and demonstrating Product solutions to our customers.
The role requires a candidate who is technically strong in this domain, with sound judgement and comfortable with abstract thinking. Highly proficient communication skills are required both internally and with customers and end users. The role requires experience of Product Line Development and agile development methodologies.
The successful candidate will contribute to and lead tasks at different stages in the engineering lifecycle. Tasks assigned will be varied and include analysing and defining customer requirements, product design, solution development, solution integration, and verification. The successful candidate will be expected to work with multi-disciplined engineering team to deliver solutions that meet customer needs to a defined quality standard within agreed timescales and budgets
Delivery of team leadership and subject matter expertise to the Future Land Environment (FLE) Products team. This includes:
- Acquisition, creation and demonstration of products that meet the needs of MORPHEUS requirements and architecture, to the required performance and in a timely manner:
- Development and documentation of product architecture, requirements, roadmaps and detailed designs using systems and software engineering modelling tools.
- Development, documentation, verification and support of product SDKs and integration harnesses for use by 3rd parties
- Managing feature-based product development using agile techniques, evolving capabilities in accordance with agreed roadmaps.
- Working with external and internal stakeholders to clarify requirements and agree designs/solutions to satisfy those requirements.
- Undertaking analyses of design changes to confirm feasibility and impacts on the products to inform implementation decisions.
- Overseeing and contributing to integration of products into the Vertex Frameworks and the validation of compliance of Product features against requirements.
- Working with specialist and support engineering groups as required to validate designs. Relevant specialist disciplines include security, safety, logistics support, mechanical/electrical engineering and human factors.
- Presentation and demonstration of products to relevant stakeholders to gain feedback on the development activities and support future improvements.
- Management of external collaborators to ensure timely delivery of compliant products.
- Accurate and timely reporting of progress and escalation of issues to Programme and Engineering management.
- Present outputs of work, conclusions and recommendations at internal and external reviews.
- Management and supervision of product development teams utilising Agile techniques. Responsible for product quality and performance to ensure programme objectives are meet in rapid iterations e.g. 6 week planning horizon.
- Planning, scheduling and assignment of work for direct reports.
- Responsibility for cost accounting and work package management.
- Reviewing team processes and outputs for technical accuracy, adequacy, and efficiency.
- Responsibility for time management of self and team, ensuring work outputs delivered to agreed schedule.
- Breadth of experience gained in roles that demonstrate technical leadership, the application of system engineering skills and a track record of delivery.
- Solid experience gained in all phases of the system engineering lifecycle.
- Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and supporting tools and methods, in particular SysML and UML.
- Experience in engineering methods and tools for elaborating system requirements.Software-intensive systems design, development and testing following Agile methodologies, preferably the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Cross-platform rapid application development for Windows and Unix variants (Linux, Android, iOS).
- Adaptation of off-the-shelf Information Technology (hardware and software) for domain-specific (preferably military) use.
- Good understanding of messaging middleware and protocols.
- Good understanding of the Internet Protocol (IP) stack, IP network infrastructures (wired and wireless) and system management.
- Confident and collaborative when dealing with customers, users, business partners/suppliers and third parties.
- Excellent persuasive communication skills: written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Proven team builder, comfortable in providing leadership in the presence of uncertainty and unplanned change.
- Comfortable in managing groups of technical experts with diverse interests and backgrounds, including delegation to direct reports.
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.
More jobs like this
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Control & Instrumentation
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Electro-Mechanical
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Electronics
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Project Engineering
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Systems