National Grid is at the heart of energy in the UK. The electricity we provide gets the nation to work, powers schools and lights everyone’s way home. Our energy network connects the nation, so it’s essential that it’s continually evolving, advancing and improving. That’s why we need the very best people to join the team. And that’s why we’re talking to you.
This is a unique opportunity to join the growing Electricity Transmission Owner Innovation Team.
In today’s environment, just letting things happen isn’t good enough. Thinking out of the box is not a luxury but a necessity. Intelligent risk-taking is essential. The only sustainable competitive advantage comes from out-innovating ourselves and consistently and tirelessly improving our service to our customer. And that is exactly what the Electricity Transmission Owner innovation team does; it creates the future.
We are now looking for motivated, proactive engineers and scientists to deliver our innovation programme and change the world. The successful candidates should be team players open to new experiences, challenges and wanting to develop their technical and commercial knowledge.
Driving change is sometimes hard, and there will be times when the job will test your willpower. In return, the job will give you moments of exhilarating success; those successful projects which allow you to create history, look back at and see what the industry once was and will never be again.
We are looking for people wanting to drive technology in the following areas:
- Undergrounding Technologies
- Protection, Control, Automation and Cyber Security
- Big Data and Condition Monitoring
- Switchgear and Power Electronics
- Civils and Construction Methods
In your application, please specify clearly which areas you would like to work on and if you want to suggest new ones, please do so too.
About the role
- Accountable for the development of the programme of work for your area of technical accountability.
- Management of a varied portfolio of works conducted within the innovation team and Deeside Innovation Facility.
- Accountable for the quality assurance of work delivered in-line with appropriate frameworks and agreements for each individual project.
- Own the production of timely management reporting.
- Accountable for the design and delivery of large scale, highly complex innovation projects that will have great importance to wider industry at the National Innovation Competition funded facility.
- As part of the setup process, contribute to the delivery of a fully operational Deeside Innovation Facility.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- Ability to multi-task with strong attention to detail.
- Setting defined objectives, manages time effectively, and monitors their performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Taking responsibility for actions, takes initiative, and working under own direction.
- Demonstrate ability for lateral thinking and to see the wider perspective.
- Appetite to challenge convention.
- Good organisational skills and experience of supervising and coordinating team activities.
- Strong focus on generating shareholder, customer and consumer value.
- Degree or equivalent in STEM related subject. Alternatively, significant amount of site experience.
- Qualifications leading to membership of a relevant professional body preferable.
- Expert knowledge of high voltage environments.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.