General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for a Configuration Engineer to support the MORPHEUS overall system engineering team. The team is responsible for capturing the overall goal architecture for MORPHEUS, using Artisan RTS, as well as the subset applicable for each of the MORPHEUS increments. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to support the implementation of a System Configuration Management strategy that shall reflect the fast pace and dynamism of GDMS. Your role will be to further define, deploy and implement system configuration management policy, along with the processes behind the policy and thereafter provide Configuration Management expertise on the programme.
The initial phase of your employment will be to:
- Support the role out of a configuration management (CM) concept that spans the complete development cycle that references industry best practice and supports the use of Agile Methodology.
- Identity CM requirements that cover the system, hardware, software and data/info requirements.
- Manage and deliver the CM requirements against the overall CM plan for the programme.
- Responsible for supporting and maintaining the configuration management plan
- Responsible for, implementing, managing version control and processes
- Responsible for communicating and controlling release plans for fielded and test environments.
- Responsible for ensuring all releases and build processes are accurately documented and are reported through the approved toolset.
- Responsible for conducting Configuration Reviews to include but not limited to requirements, problem reports, defects and bug reports.
- Collaborate with the project design / build team in support of multiple, concurrent configuration baselines in line with the CM Plan
- Responsible for managing change on a daily basis
- Responsible for attending change management boards and progressing change workflows
- Provide guidance to engineers on the Configuration Management Processes they need to follow.
The successful candidate will gain hands-on experience working with other engineers on the team to progressively develop technical, interpersonal and team working skills that are fundamental to the business and provide guidance and leadership for more junior engineers. The candidate’s capabilities will increase through both on the job experience and GD’s commitment to continuous professional development.
- Extensive hands-on working experience of configuration management within a systems engineering Technology Company.
- Experienced CM practitioner in all hardware and software CM related disciplines, including Configuration Control, Configuration Status Accounting, CM Audits, Baseline Management, Software Configuration Management, CM database requirements and as-built management.
- Strong knowledge of configuration management activities pertaining to identification, change control, accounting and auditing in accordance with established company procedures and program configuration management plans.
- Ability to read/understand technical documentation and analyse to a degree sufficient to support CM activities
- Understands CM and DM requirements to provide guidance and value added CM.
- Fairly strong understanding of system level CM requirements
- High quality standards and ability to raise risks, issues accordingly
- Ability to perform within a multi-functional programme team comprising both company staff and the customer.
- Demonstrated ability to organise own work and those of others.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work across multi-functional teams and businesses dealing with software and hardware products.
- Demonstrates understanding of the system/product engineering lifecycle and phases, and challenges associated with system engineering in a delivery focussed, commercially successful organisation.
- Confident and effective dealing with Customers and End Users
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.
More jobs like this
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Control & Instrumentation
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Electrical
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Electronics
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Project Engineering
- Engineering Manager Software & Hardware jobs in Systems