The British Antarctic Survey is seeking an ICT Engineer to complete project work on the RRS Sir David Attenborough and its Associated Projects and to help maintain all the equipment the department is responsible for. You will be required to offer remote assistance to engineers on the ground and you will also implement and run a programme of planned maintenance for all key equipment.
The successful post holder will work closely with the Communications Systems Manager, taking any project work given from the design stage through to on-site implementation. You will need to be skilled in networking and communications engineering with the ability to offer technical support and complete remote maintenance. This position requires a self starter, able to work autonomously and to assimilate information quickly and make decisions accordingly.
1) To assist with, but not limited to, the planning and delivery of the following projects:
RRS Sir David Attenborough
2) Undertake the routine support and maintenance of the communications systems and networks within BAS (Cambridge, Antarctica & Research Vessels).
The jobholder will be required to take a flexible approach to their work and accommodate new technologies as systems are developed.
Relevant HNC or higher.
The Communications Systems department is responsible for the provision of all technical and operational communications systems and services (including but not limited to, HF and VHF radios, VSAT and Iridium satellite equipment, antennae, instrumentation, WAN/LAN and the VoIP telephone system) within the head office at Cambridge, on five Antarctic research stations and on board two Antarctic going vessels. As ICT Engineer, you will be involved across the whole spectrum of this work as follows:
• Project work – you will be able to take a project “work package” and manage it from the design stage through to on-site implementation. A wide range of hands-on engineering skills will be required as well as excellent planning skills and a flexible approach.
• Maintenance – you will be expected to gain a good technical and operational understanding of all the equipment the department is responsible for and be able to offer remote assistance to engineers on the ground. You will also implement and run a programme of planned maintenance for all key equipment.
• Network – work with the Network Engineer to manage and maintain the WAN/LAN. This includes network administration on switches, routers and access points. You should be comfortable installing and managing network cabling and hardware.
• Administration –you will undertake the administration and management of the stations spares holding. This will include keeping accurate records, identifying and purchasing required spares. There is also an amount of routine administration involved with the role, including taking an occasional turn manning the ICT helpdesk.
• Interpersonal / management – whilst there will be no direct line management responsibility with this post, you may be required to deputise from time to time to cover absences. Good team working is a pre-requisite both in Cambridge and with personnel in Antarctica. You may be called upon to provide training for new Antarctic wintering personnel each year.
On-line application forms and further information are available on our website at www.bas.ac.uk/jobs.
These are also available from the Human Resources Section, British Antarctic Survey, High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0ET. Tel: (01223) 221508.
Please quote reference: BAS 59/17
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 28th August 2017
Interview date and start date are to be confirmed.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome.
More searches like this
- Control & Instrumentation Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Electrical Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Scientific Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Research and Development Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager