Outage Planning Engineer
Outage Planning Engineer
Location: Portsmouth Depot
Salary: £34,123 - £45,066 depending on skills and experience
Fixed Term Contract - 12 months initially (extended length dependant on start date)
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
This particular roles sits within the Distribution Control Centre; at the heart of the Distribution and Transmission Network, this control room monitors the SSE Network, and manages high voltages up to 33kV. This team can pin down any fault or break in power to exact locations on the Network, and work with highly skilled colleagues to resolves these from the control centre. This Centre is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Due to a substantial increase in Distribution connected generation, along with new technologies such as Active Network Management Schemes, DVARs, and SVCs, the Distribution system is more active than ever; as such as are looking for an agile and highly skilled Distribution Outage Planning Engineer to join our team.
You will be responsible for system analysis, namely managing planned and fault outages on our network all whilst ensuring voltage targets are maintained and our network is secure. Liaising with numerous other teams, you will ensure our protection schemes are suitable for the changing network, with a close relationship with Network Planners to ensure that DOC setting and intertrip schemes are adequate.
This role holds wide spanning, and critical responsibilities, with involvement in Embedded Generation performance monitoring, ensuring alarms are generated when Voltage regulation is not operating as designed. Other responsibilities will also include T/D outage coordination, testing and implementation of PowerOn scripts and briefing teams on operation of new technologies as and when required.
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- previous engineering experience within an distribution network, specifically operating on HV networks ideally
- hold a qualification in Electrical Engineering, min. HNC; relevant equivalent experience will also be considered
- ideally you will hold Senior Authorised Person status, or be working towards this
- strategic mind-set with the ability to act quickly whilst maintaining a high degree of precision; in this fast paced environment, a need for high accuracy is fundamental to our success
- excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines, and to shift priorities depending on unplanned circumstance
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our partners;
- high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- sound knowledge of IT, namely Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook; a flair for picking up new IT systems is a great advantage
- enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
If you resonate with the above, click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand, it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: Tuesday 15th August 2017.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application. Successful candidates will be subject to the company's verification and vetting process which includes a basic criminal record check.