Production Engineering Team Leader
Overview of Role:
The RF Power Production Engineering team provides engineering resources to support Operational performance and major product development projects; from design through to engineering build and production support, to end of life of product. The team provides full product lifecycle support including prototype design & build, development and integration of the build documentation and full production build through to post sales/field support for both new & existing product portfolios.
This role is a “player/manager” position and forms part of the engineering leadership team within RF Power Production Engineering reporting to the Head of Production Engineering, responsible for delivering technologies and solutions required by the business to support strategic growth. Initially this will be in support of the Thyratron and Spark Gap areas but may evolve in time allow the Team Leader to develop their skill set and product knowledge.
The Thyratron product range is a key contributor to the Medical and Science business units having major customers in both areas, but is also the largest contributor to the PONC (scrap) for RF Power.
This role will focus on reducing manufacturing costs and improve yield, which will directly impact our customers, whilst supporting the Projects’ team in developing product variants for new applications.
As part of the RF Power Engineering Team, the Team Leader is the recognised point of contact for all matters related to his or her area of expertise, providing engineering advice, problem solving, allocating resources and co-ordination of activities in support of current and future business.
The Team Leader will drive a proactive approach to right first time quality to promote growth, will enhance the reputation of the business through exceptional quality standards and contribute towards a significant reduction in overall manufacturing costs.
- Support the Head of Production Engineering to develop a highly flexible and capable Operational support team adopting best practice production and design techniques and problem solving tools.
- Ensure that the right skills are available to meet current and predicted requirements as cost-effectively as possible, retaining, training and motivating a strong, functionally flexible team with an appropriate mix of engineering and technician skills.
- Develop the capability of the team through building a framework of coaching and mentoring within the team to understand and close skills gaps while ensuring that Teledyne-e2v Performance and Development Review (PDR) process is followed for team members.
- Drive the team to ensure that manufacturable products are designed at target cost and quality, while working with Operations to ensure smooth transition to volume production.
- Assist in the development of tools & techniques to support team activities in continually improving yield & scrap levels.
- Provide guidance to the team in applicable techniques to promote Continuous Improvement, cost & scrap reduction throughout the process.
- Drive the team to ensure Process & Equipment capability is continually being developed and improved.
- Support the New Dawn Operational Excellence program.
- Manage the team to provide robust technical and cost information to the preparation/bid process in order to win business whilst minimising technical risk, project delays and cost overrun.
- Manage the team to provide robust technical information and support to Operations, Procurement and Quality activities.
- Develop and maintain Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for engineers within the team to drive improvements to task execution and delivery in line with Teledyne-e2v performance management process.
- Ensure the team are continually conscious of all Health & Safety aspects of the Teledyne-e2v facility and drive the need to highlight and eliminate any risks to the Teledyne-e2v workforce.
- Identify opportunities for Capital Investment and make recommendations including data driven rationale & ROI.
- Provide input into the Sunrise facility improvements and associated planning for Engineering tasks, validation & verification.
- Good communication skills that can sell and influence to a range of audiences internally and externally with the ability to work with all levels of the business.
- Demonstrable experience in an engineering function in support of manufacturing.
- Demonstrable experience of Lean manufacturing and associated tools.
- Hands on with product, process, people and customer.
- An independent thinker, able to take an assertive stance to enforce the key requirements of quality and the customer.
- Experience of preparing operational documentation and work instructions.
- Experience of driving change in process, behaviour and culture.
- Understanding of SPC data and calculations
- Problem solving experience (8D, A3, Root Cause Analysis etc.)
- Strong analytical skills.
- Key competences: Personal accountability, building relationships, planning for results, customer first, adaptability.
- Capable of obtaining SC – Security Clearance
- Experience within a supervisory role, and managing through people.
- Experience in activities & techniques relating to the introduction of new products (NPI)
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacture/Assembly, DFMEA, PFMEA.
- ERP / SAP Systems experience
- Computer Literate (MS Office/Project/Visio)
- CI, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma methodology, Quality toolset experience.
- Project Management Experience.
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) and experience
To apply for this vacancy, please send us your CV by clicking Apply, quoting reference 1612/IET
More searches like this
- Design Sciences jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Electro-Mechanical Sciences jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Manufacturing & Production Sciences jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Materials Sciences jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Mechanical Sciences jobs in Director & Senior Management