Technician (Acoustic Sensor)
The NATO Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE) is looking for a Technician (Acoustic Sensor) to work within the Acoustics & Geophysical Section of the Research and Engineering Division of CMRE in La Spezia, Italy.
Do you have experience in underwater electro-acoustics? Do you have knowledge of the design and manufacture mechanical components using CAD tools? Are you experience in PCB design, build, and integration?
If the answer is yes, then this position could be perfect for you.
1. Principal Duties.
Under the supervision of the Head of Acoustics & Geophysical Section, the incumbent will be assigned the following tasks:
- Play a leading role in the construction of acoustic systems, from the design phase to realisation (i.e. design using electronic/mechanical design tools; construction using soldering iron, lathe and milling machine)
- For the above systems, knowledge of the complete chain, from sensor to acquisition system is required, together with the ability to test/troubleshoot and produce detailed technical documentation.
- Provide post-cruise or post-delivery support to the end user of the product
- Supervise other technicians or contractors involved in the building of acoustic systems
- Perform a primary role the preparation, embarkation/disembarkation of sea-trials equipment and in the collection of experimental data at sea on a range of ships.
- Perform programmed maintenance on systems (e.g. acoustic sources, hydrophone arrays), requiring supervision of other technicians or external contractors.
- Specify, purchase and conduct acceptance testing on electronic/acoustic instruments and systems.
2. Essential Qualifications
- Higher Secondary Education
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in underwater electro-acoustics.
- Hands-on experience in the construction of towed hydrophone arrays.
- Ability to autonomously design and manufacture mechanical components using CAD tools (e.g. Solidworks) and manual workshop equipment (eg. lathes and milling machines).
- Ability to design electronic circuits, using schematic capture and PCB design software, and subsequently build, test and integrate the finished PCB.
- Knowledge and experience in Power Electronics design.
- Significant sea-trials experience (minimum of 5 years), having played a leading technical role in the preparation and deployment of acoustic equipment at sea, from multiple platforms.
c. Language Requirements.
- English SLP 3322 (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
3. Desirable Qualifications.
- Higher vocational training leading to a diploma in electronics technology.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in underwater acoustic system design and implementation, from both hardware and software standpoint. Including familiarity with electronic/mechanical CAD software and programming languages (including MATLAB, LabView and C)
- Knowledge and experience in TCP/IP networking, both wired and wireless, and their application to at-sea deployed systems.
- Knowledge and experience in embedded single board computers and data acquisition systems under Windows & Unix/Linux operating systems.
- Previous experience with ISO 9000 or similar quality management systems.
- Experience working in a customer funded environment.
a. Security Clearance
- Ability to obtain a NATO Secret clearance.
b. Salary and conditions of employment
The successful candidate will be employed at NATO B-4 grade based on the selected candidate’s background and performance during the competition.
The successful applicant will be offered a 3-year definite duration contract, which, subject to satisfactory performance and organizational requirements may be renewed for a further period of up to 3 years. During the period of renewal, the incumbent may be offered further employment.
The monthly basic salary, for a NATO grade B-4 post in Italy is € 3.569,64. The salary and allowances paid by the organization are exempted from income tax.
5. What we offer.
- A world-class research facility located in the sea port of La Spezia, Italy supported by two specialised research vessels.
- An exciting place in which to work situated at an ideal location, the port of La Spezia, Italy, enabling synergy with regional and global academic institutes and industry.
- Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation, household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme.
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
More searches like this
- Design Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electro-Mechanical Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electronics Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Research and Development Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer