Electrical Engineer – Rolling Stock
About Transport for London
TfL are the integrated transport authority responsible for delivering Mayor of London Sadiq Khan's strategy and commitments on transport. We run the day-to-day operation of the Capital's public transport network and manage London's main roads. No other city is as recognised by its transport system as London. Its red buses, black cabs and Tube trains are known the world over.
Every day more than 31 million journeys are made across our network. We do all we can to keep the city moving, working, growing and to make life in our city better.
The services we operate include London Underground, London Buses, Docklands Light Railway, London Overground, TfL Rail, London Trams, London River Services, London Dial-a-Ride, Victoria Coach Station, Santander Cycles and the Emirates Air Line.
TFL work to make journeys easier through technology and data. We provide modern ways to pay through Oyster and contactless payment cards and provide information in different formats to help people move around London.
Overview of role
To provide technical leadership and support the technical delivery of engineering projects and ensure the achievement of the agreed targets of quality, safety, cost and time. To manage the demand for technical engineering input to COO Engineering, external clients and other LU Directorates in support of Company business plans and day to day operations. To develop the internal capability of the team and external supply chain to the short-term and long-term benefit of London Underground. To assure that changes are designed and implemented to be safe, fit for purpose and compliant with legislation and relevant standards. Lead and manage a specific group to deliver the above.
- Provide safe and timely professional and technical engineering support to meet business requirements as directed.
- Plan and control own work to meet project and technical requirements.
- Provide assistance to determine the nature, scope and methodology of work packages.
- Evaluate, select and apply appropriate solutions to engineering problems.
- Maintain and develop close links with clients and appropriate engineering personnel to ensure a sound understanding of client needs and effective delivery of engineering/technical services.
- Awareness of emerging technologies and their application to the railway.
- Review, supervision and inspection of engineering works to standards.
- Liaison with third parties.
- Maintain and improve own competence and technical knowledge.
- Ensure solutions comply with applicable standards and good practice.
- Manage others to deliver work packages to time and cost quality.
- Manage external contractors/suppliers.
- Assess engineering requirements and interpret relevant Standards to ensure provision of cost effective and innovative technical solutions.
- Support Senior Engineers in the development of engineering solutions and designs.
- Interpretation of relevant engineering standards using engineering judgment within own area of expertise.
- Engineering degree or equivalent.
- The candidate should be working towards Chartered Engineer status or equivalent.
- Achieved competency and licence requirements of internal Asset Performance Engineering Competency Assurance and Licensing for role.
- Good knowledge of relevant engineering standards.
- Commercial awareness
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures and processes.
- Good knowledge of relevant LU assets.
- Detail conscious with good analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Embraces change and drives innovation.
- Uses and maintains knowledge and technical expertise.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others.
- Takes responsibility, accountability and ownership.
- Very good understanding of relevant engineering principles and their application.
- Good understanding of CAD
- Able to interpret engineering drawings, specifications and standards
- Experience in railway or similar operationally complex and safety conscious environment.
- Experience in failure investigations and fault finding.
- Proven record in the development of cost effective solutions.
Excellent benefits include
- 29 days’ holiday plus public and bank holidays.
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free Tube travel and travel concessions including discounted Eurostar travel.
- Performance related pay.
- Private medical benefit.
To apply please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: 10th September 2017.
We aspire to be as diverse as the city we serve, we welcome applications from all sections of the community.