Smart Meter Technology Policy Lead
Smart Meter Technology Policy Lead
We are seeking a talented and energetic individual to join our Smart Meter team in London. You have an interest in innovation and would like to get involved in policy making. You are comfortable with technical concepts and have the ability to clearly communicate your ideas as well as challenge. Teamwork is important to you, and you like to engage with energy and technology companies.
The role will be leading an increasingly high-profile area of work, with clear links to department priorities such as the industrial strategy. It is based in the Smart Metering Implementation Programme, a £11 billion project spanning both government and industry. This programme involves the installation of smart meters in every home and small business across Great Britain by 2020, making it the most significant change programme in the energy industry for 40 years.
To ensure that integrated, smart energy and smart home solutions are possible, you will:
- Lead on policy relating to Consumer Access Devices which allow access to smart meter data, for example to provide services such as automated or remote energy management.
- Manage smart metering policy on electric vehicle charging
- Ensure that current regulatory, security, technical and commercial frameworks established for smart metering and energy foster innovation as well as consumer friendly services
- Organise high-profile workshops and events with industry to maintain a dialogue on innovation and ensure that a wide cross section of organisations understand the data and access routes.
A significant area of technical development is the extension the Home Area Network (HAN) technologies to include so-called 868MHz and Alternative HAN solutions.
These technologies will enable access to smart services for around 30% of premises, including the most challenging premises. You will:
- Monitor development and testing of dual band communication hubs by the Data Communications Company, including regular engagement with energy suppliers and device manufacturers
- Track development of Alternative HAN solutions by energy suppliers, with focus on technology design, commercial strategy and timelines
- Assist external working groups to accurately define and solve technical issues
The energy sector is transforming with smart technologies emerging and maturing. You will:
- Track technological and business developments related to smart metering, for example home appliance automation and blockchains
- Establish how to influence and respond to these market developments over time
- Develop a technology roadmap to show how technology integration will occur
- Collaborate with colleagues in BEIS and across Government, drawing out intra- and inter-departmental impacts
- Provide insights and thought leadership to senior leadership teams
You have the opportunity to:
- Become an expert on smart energy solutions, the nexus of telecoms, IT and energy sector
- Contribute to transforming the role of consumers in the energy sector and the uptake of new energy technologies
- Collaborate closely with experts in BEIS; develop a network of contacts in the industry
The role reports to the Deputy Head of Smart Meter Delivery. The team overall is responsible for the technical, business, security and regulatory design and delivery to enable the roll-out of smart meters.
BEIS is committed to diversity and supports flexible working patterns.
What we would like to see:
- Experience of the energy, communications or IT sectors
- Technical background and degree in engineering
To apply please visit our website by clicking APPLY
Closing Date: 10th September 2017