Electronic Sub-System Design Verification engineer
MBDA has entered the next phase of its exciting evolution as a world class and dominant European missile company. The growing workload within MBDA has created exciting opportunities within the Subsystem Design Verification team to lead activities, or become integral members of, this multi-disciplined team.
The Subsystem Design Verification Team is responsible for independently assessing the compliance of a subsystem product to its requirements, planning how the evidence for this assessment is generated and performing activities to obtain this evidence. This could involve hands-on formal testing and trials, design simulation, design analysis etc. including the definition of requirements for associated Test Systems. The range of products includes computers, data links, safety systems, firing units and others.
What will you be doing?
This role encompasses the planning and implementation of subsystem verification tasks, deciding which type of verification approach is correct for the specific requirements that the product must meet and then synthesising these different needs into a single verification plan for the product. This will include tests and trials (e.g. environmental and EMC) as well as helping to define the requirements for the test systems needed to achieve these tests and trials.
The role will also require the evidence from all of the above activities to be assessed and compiled into a compliance matrix leading to a statement of compliance through a Certificate of Design.
It is likely that individuals will own all of the activities for a specific project, requiring a level of leadership where the project tasks require more than one person to achieve the outcome.
What are the benefits for you?
This role provides a unique opportunity to be involved in multi-million pound international projects, owning and delivering a critical element of the design process. It provides opportunities to develop and broaden both technical and leadership skills within a growing company.
Exposure to complex and technologically advanced projects and products provides a stimulating experience. Working with highly talented and motivated engineers, in a friendly and supportive environment, provides one of the best environments to further career aspirations and achieve a real feeling of success.
What’s great about joining this team?
The Subsystem Design Verification team is a dynamic and focused team specialising in all elements of the design verification process. Individuals are often located within the main project team to ensure they have a close relationship plus up to date knowledge of the issues within that project. This enables them to influence the activities of the project team to achieve the design verification tasks.
The team has excellent contacts and working relationships across the various departments and Functions within MBDA that is a key to the success of their role. This provides excellent visibility of the roles of other teams and also what is happening within the business.
The opportunity to own the Design Verification activities for a specific project is an exciting prospect for anyone wishing to develop their leadership skills.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals. To be suitable for this role, Individuals will be able to demonstrate a number of the following attributes:
- Ideally degree qualified in Electronics or related subject with significant proven experience in similar roles.
- An excellent knowledge of product development processes and a good understanding of where Design Verification fits within this cycle
- Knowledge of defence, electrical and environmental standards (e.g. Stanag 1008, Def Stan 07-85, Def Stan 59-411, MIL-STD-810);
- A knowledge of EMC and its implications for subsystems electronics with the capability to derive requirements for, and manage, EMC trials
- Knowledge of reliability and safety principles
- Although primarily a hardware role, knowledge of software/firmware embedded code such would be useful.
- Familiarity with the DOORS requirements verification tool (but training can be given)
- Possess excellent analytical and problem solving skills, have excellent verbal communication, negotiation and influencing skills and the capability to write clear, concise engineering documentation.
- Have the pro-activeness, motivation, ability and tenacity to deliver design verification activities on time and to cost.
- Ability to lead small teams of up to 3 people in all Verification activities on a project would be an advantage. Formal project management activities will be minimal.
Why you should come and work at MBDA
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards.
What you would get
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, an employee funded voluntary private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)