Asset Investment Team Manager – Electricity
Asset Investment Team Manager – Electricity
Salary: £55k - £65k
Location: National Grid Head Office, Warwick, Midlands
Benefits: 28 days holiday + 8 statutory days with option to buy or sell holidays, an annual performance bonus of up to 15% of your salary, generous pension scheme – you put in 6% we will double and match to 12% input, share incentive plans available, various flexible benefit salary sacrifice schemes.
This is an exciting time to join National Grid as we evolve our business to meet the changing electricity needs for tomorrow and deliver our multi-billion pound investment programme to transform our electricity infrastructure whilst delivering on our customer and regulatory promises. The Network Management function within National Grid is at the core of planning, optioneering and developing a portfolio of electricity transmission projects to deliver our key business objectives. Within Network Management, there is now a fantastic opportunity to join the Investment Delivery Department who are at the heart of bringing our customer projects to life.
The Investment Delivery Team manages a range of transmission asset connections to the High Voltage Electricity Transmission Network for our customers – whether it is customers who generate electricity or those that have demands for it. This team leads the offer and optioneering phase for the investment – having a keen commercial eye on what options would be best for our customer, stakeholder and regulator whilst ensuring the projects are based on time, quality, safety and cost objectives. Investments are managed through optioneering before passing through to, development, design and then presented for financial sanction and onward delivery. The main responsibility for you will be to manage a team of Investment Delivery Engineers and so, strong people-management skills will be the key to success. As the lead for the team, it will be your role to be accountable for managing any business issues and governance associated with the investments.
About the role
- Accountable for leading a team of 6+ Investment Delivery Engineers who lead the investment processes and ensure we deliver our customer promises;
- Maintain a portfolio performance view to inform strategic business decisions that enables delivering excellent value for National Grid, our regulator and our customers
- Communicate strategies and risks to National Grid’s stakeholders and represent Investment Delivery at various forums
- Leading a team to continuously improve process, best practice, innovation and strongly encourage personal development through coaching and mentoring;
- Be a part of the decision process in agreeing what the preferred solution is and agree time, cost and scope of design deliverable;
- Accountable for the delivery of Project Briefs for investments detailing the preferred option to be developed and delivered by Construction and Electricity Transmission;
- Appraise and sanction the developed option;
- Monitor project evolution and deliver against value, needs case and affordability by ensuring no scope creep;
- Agree and challenge compensation events and agree re-sanction with Construction;
- Evaluation of project at closure against original scope, cost and benefits.
- Lead lessons learnt process to ensure continuous improvement.
- Ambassador a safety focused culture in the team and department including managing the team in their CDM Client duties.
- You will have proven knowledge of investment processes for different types of asset investment, preferably from a utilities, telecoms or engineering background;
- You will be commercially focused, cost driven and customer centric in your approach;
- You will have experience of leading teams with a proven track record of encouraging a performance driven culture whilst supporting personal development
- You will have excellent stakeholder and customer management skills
- Knowledge of requirements for connecting new generation and demand connections to the transmission system would be good experience to have;
- Any knowledge of Electricity codes relating to customer connections set out within the Electricity transmission licence is desirable;
- Knowledge and experience in project management best practice is high desirable for the success of this role;
- Knowledge of the RIIO mechanisms, or an equivalent in terms of regulatory objectives, would be highly desirable.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards; we also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
To learn more about working at National Grid and applying for this position, click on the Apply button.
Please submit your CV with you application and we will be in touch with either a a yes or a no confirmation. If it's a no, we're sorry about that; please don't let this deter you from applying to other roles at National Grid. If it's a yes, we will likely hold telephone interviews on 15th September with a view to face to face interviews at our Hams Lane office week commencing 18th September.