System Engineer - Vertex
GDUK is currently pursuing competitive work related to MORPHEUS, the UK MOD programme that is working to replace the Bowman CIP Tactical C4I system used by British Armed Forces. This role is for a Principal System Engineer to lead the Future Land Environment (FLE) Vertex Independent R&D (IRAD) team. Vertex is GDUK’s technology framework for the next generation of Tactical CIS solutions with a core focus on MORPHEUS.
The role is responsible for further defining the Vertex Architecture and Integration Framework and, in collaboration with 3rd parties, demonstrating Vertex-enabled product & service solutions to our customers. The role requires a candidate who is technically strong in this domain, with sound judgement and comfortable with abstract thinking. Highly proficient communication skills are required both internally and with customers and end users.
The successful candidate will contribute to and lead tasks at different stages in the engineering lifecycle. Tasks assigned will be varied and include analysing and defining customer requirements, architectural design, solution development, solution integration, and verification. The successful candidate will be expected to work with multi-disciplined engineering team to deliver solutions that meet customer needs to a defined quality standard within agreed timescales and budgets.
Delivery of subject matter expertise to the Future Land Environment (FLE) Vertex IRAD team. This includes:
- Evolving and documenting the Vertex Architecture and prototype solution designs using agile engineering practices, methods and tools. Use of SysML and UML is essential.
- Development, documentation, verification and support of behavioural modelling and simulation tools.
- Supporting the FLE Vertex Lead Engineer in the generation of ideas, business cases, plans and cost estimates for innovative technology solutions in response to internal and customer requirements.
- Working with external and internal stakeholders to clarify Vertex requirements and agree designs/solutions to satisfy those requirements.
- Developing, documenting, verifying and supporting Vertex SDKs and integration harnesses for use by 3rd parties.
- Validation of prototype Vertex solutions to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Undertaking analyses of candidate Vertex design changes to confirm feasibility and impacts on the system to inform implementation decisions.
- Working with specialist and support engineering groups as required to validate designs. Relevant specialist disciplines include security, safety, logistics support and human factors.
- Managing external collaborators to ensure timely delivery of integrated solutions.
- Accurate and timely reporting of progress and escalation of issues to the Vertex Lead Engineer. Presentation of Vertex project outputs, including conclusions and recommendations, at formal reviews and stakeholder demonstrations to gain feedback on the development activities and support future improvements.
- Planning, scheduling and assignment of work for direct reports.
- Responsibility for cost accounting and work packages delegated by Vertex Lead Engineer.
- Reviewing team processes and outputs for technical accuracy, adequacy, and efficiency.
- Breadth of experience gained in roles that demonstrate technical leadership, the application of system engineering skills and a track record of delivery.
- Solid experience gained in all phases of the system engineering lifecycle.
- Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and supporting tools and methods, in particular SysML and UML.
- Experience in engineering methods and tools for elaborating system requirements.
- Software-intensive systems design, development and testing following Agile methodologies, preferably the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Cross-platform rapid application development for Windows and Unix variants (Linux, Android, iOS).
- Adaptation of off-the-shelf Information Technology (hardware and software) for domain-specific (preferably military) use.
- Good understanding of messaging middleware and protocols.
- Design of wired and wireless IP-based voice/data networks for use in static and mobile deployed scenarios.
- Design of secure information systems, including the processes and controls required for military systems.
- Confident and collaborative when dealing with customers, users, business partners/suppliers and third parties.
- Excellent persuasive communication skills: written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Proven team builder, comfortable in providing leadership in the presence of uncertainty and unplanned change.
- Comfortable in managing groups of technical experts with diverse interests and backgrounds, including delegation to direct reports..
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.
More searches like this
- Control & Instrumentation Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Electro-Mechanical Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Electronics Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Project Engineering Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager