Systems Engineer (Fletch)
GDUK is currently pursuing competitive work related to MORPHEUS, the UK MOD programme that is working to replace the Bowman CIP Tactical C4I system used by British Armed Forces. This role is for a Senior Software Engineer to design and develop software frameworks for the next generation of Tactical CIS solutions for MORPHEUS. This role is specifically responsible for developing the Vertex Integration & Behavioural Modelling/Simulation Framework in collaboration with 3rd parties. This framework will enable architectural validation, interface standards development, verification/ assurance and an environment for integration of solution building block, both real and simulate.
The role requires a candidate who is technically strong in this domain, with sound judgement and comfortable with abstract thinking. Highly proficient communication skills are required both internally and with customers and end users. The successful candidate will be able to provide evidence of solid experience in agile development methodologies.
The successful candidate will contribute to and lead tasks at different stages in the software engineering lifecycle. Tasks assigned will be varied and include analysing and defining customer requirements, design, development, integration, and verification. The successful candidate will be expected to work with multi-disciplined engineering team to deliver solutions that meet customer needs to a defined quality standard within agreed timescales and budgets.
Delivery of team leadership and subject matter expertise to the Vertex IRAD software engineering team. Responsible for the creation and maturation of the software elements of the Vertex Integration & Behavioural Modelling/Simulation Framework. This will include the development , documentation, verification and support of Software designed using agile software engineering tools and methods, Software Development Kits and integration harnesses for use by 3rd parties, simulation tools, implemented through a combination of simulated system elements and hardware-in-the-loop.
- Working with external and internal stakeholders to clarify requirements and agree designs/solutions to satisfy those requirements.
- Undertaking analyses of design changes to confirm feasibility and impacts on the system to inform implementation decisions.
- Presentation and demonstration of solutions to stakeholders to gain feedback on the development activities and support future improvements.
- Overseeing and contributing to integration and testing activities on prototype solutions to validate designs and ensure compliance with Vertex project outcomes and objectives designed to meet MORPHEUS stakeholder needs..
- Working with specialist and support engineering groups as required to validate designs. Relevant specialist disciplines include security, safety, logistics support and human factors.
- Accurate and timely reporting of progress and escalation of issues to Programme and Engineering management.
- Presentation of team outputs, including conclusions and recommendations, at formal reviews and stakeholder demonstrations to gain feedback on the development activities and support future improvements.
- Planning, scheduling and assignment of work for direct reports by tailoring standard templates to the needs of the project.
- Responsibility for cost accounting and work package management.
- Reviewing software engineering processes and team outputs for technical accuracy, adequacy, and efficiency.
- Responsibility for time management of self and team, ensuring work outputs delivered to agreed schedule.
- Responsibility for software team performance including the execution of quarterly performance management reviews.
- Preparation of job specifications for, and recruitment of, more junior personnel
- Breadth of experience gained in roles that demonstrate technical leadership, the application of software engineering skills across the system lifecycle and a track record of delivery.
- Software-intensive systems design, development and testing following Agile methodologies, preferably the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Experience in engineering methods and tools for elaborating system and software requirements.
- Model-Based Software Engineering tools and methods, in particular UML.
- Solid experience in the use of:
- C, C++, Python
- Web Middleware
- Experienced in UI/UX design & implementation.
- Cross-platform rapid application development for Windows and Unix variants, including modern mobile platforms (Linux, Android, iOS).
- Thorough understanding of messaging middleware and protocols.
- Through understanding of the Internet Protocol (IP) stack, IP network infrastructures (wired and wireless) and system management.
- Confident and collaborative when dealing with customers, users, business partners/suppliers and third parties.
- Excellent persuasive communication skills: written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven team builder, comfortable in providing leadership in the presence of uncertainty and unplanned change.
- Comfortable in managing groups of technical experts with diverse interests and backgrounds, including delegation to direct reports.
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.