Safety Engineer (Functional Safety)
2 days left
- Job Type
Safety Engineer (Functional Safety)
Would you like to play a key role in the design and development of submarine combat systems? We currently have a vacancy for a Safety Engineer (Functional Safety) at our site in Weymouth.
As a Safety Engineer (Functional Safety) you will be reporting into the Combat Systems Safety Manager and you will be assisting with the development of Defence Standard 00-56 safety cases for major projects associated with submarines in design, in-build and in-service. Areas will include one or more of the following Combat Systems domains: Above Water Surveillance, Command & Control, Common Infrastructure, External Communication Systems, Navigation and Underwater Surveillance.
This role is envisaged as a development role, which will provide the opportunity to ultimately become a subject matter expert, as well as the chance to work on exciting projects of national importance.
Your main responsibilities as a Safety Engineer (Functional Safety) will involve:
- Conducting Safety Management & Safety Engineering activities in accordance with Defence Standard 00-56
- Supporting the development, production and maintenance of Safety Case documentation, to meet project milestones
- Supporting Hazard Identification Workshops, Hazard Log Management & Safety Committee Meetings
- Supporting the Safety Assessment of Design Changes & Operation Defects
- Assisting with the development of Combat Systems Functional Safety Justifications
- Assisting with the development and analysing the results of various studies, such as Functional Failure Analyses, Fault Trees, Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) data etc.
- Compiling, analysing and assessing Safety Case supporting evidence
- Engaging with the wider Submarine Enterprise including, MoD, Technical/Design Authorities, Industry Partners, Suppliers etc.
- Developing and defining Safety Requirements
Your skills and qualifications:
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Safety engineering (systems/ functional safety)
- Systems engineering
- Navy weapons/ combat systems
Defence industry experience
What we're looking for in you:You will be a proactive individual who is comfortable working using their initiative. It is important that you are diplomatic and possess excellent communication skills, as working collaboratively is an essential element of this role.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Maritime Submarines - Combat Systems
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century. It currently employs approximately 7,700 people, with 500 of these working for Combat Systems across our sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Ash Vale, Broad Oak, Filton, Frimley and Weymouth.
We are currently responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of the Royal Navy's latest and most capable generation of attack submarines, as well as their intelligent Combat Systems trusted to detect threats in the naval environment.
Our Combat Systems team designs, builds, integrates and supports all of the submarine combat systems in the UK fleet - essentially, the eyes and ears of each platform. We provide through-life support for combat systems, sensors and radars, and deliver complex programmes and technologies by applying expert programme management and world-class engineering.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Inspiring Work, Inspiring People